Should all Rangers youngsters go on loan?

Colonel Mustard

By the time a Rangers youth gets to 16 or 17, he should be good enough to play in a second division side at the very minimum.

So, should we have a policy where we try to get every one of them a 6 month loan at one of the wee clubs? Not just to get them some competitive game experience, but mainly to teach them something about the position they are currently in with Rangers.

I think some of our young guys need to be getting a jolt to their system to make them appreciate the chance they've got, and going to a wee club with basic facilities and part time players might be just the thing to give them an insight into where they could end up playing if they don't eat, sleep and train like athletes and professionals.

I don't think it would do them any harm to have to frequent a wee ground without oak panels in the dressing room, go out in the cold and rain a few evenings a week for training without state of the art facilities, and hearing stories of what shite his team mates had to take from their gaffers down t' pit to get to training on time that day.

Maybe also hearing moans and groans in the dressing room, about some guys saving for a car or a holiday, or how they can't go for a night out until they get paid next week, they might realise how privileged it is to be looking at earning maybe 7 or 8 hundred quid a week next year if they do great, never mind 2 or 3 grand a week if they can make the first team squad...and then the riches beyond that.

Maybe a wee stint having to mix with those who will never make it big, and who will never become millionaires, and who train after their work at a ground on a par with a Junior outfit, and who have money worries and concerns about their future, might just make them realise how lucky they would be to force their way into staying with the greatest club on earth.

We're not producing enough players from the talent we get at a young age. Perhaps it's time for them to get the motivation of an insight into life outside of Rangers, at an early age.

With no reserve league, I'd say yes... we should have our reserve team in the lower leagues like Spain anyway.

But that's a debate for another day (tu)

You miss the point.

Playing for Rangers in the lower leagues wouldn't teach them the lesson I'm talking about.

(although I agree about having a reserve team in the lower leagues).

why should a young players career stutter if he's not given a fair crack at the whip, i say loan them out

I'm not talking about them getting a fair crack of the whip. I'm talking about them getting a dose of reality about what life will be like if they don't push themselves to succeed at Ibrox.

I know I said "yes" to the question but since we don't have millions upon millions to throw around, maybe now is the time to blood these youngsters.

There is something special about seeing a young player emerge from your club’s academy A home-grown player creates a wave of energy and excitement and we all look forward to seeing a raw, unknown quantity.

Rather than shipping off young players on loan, the club needs to seriously contemplate the introduction of fresh, young players from the academy into the first-team, even only for fleeting appearances. Our painfully small squad needs all the help it can get from now until May.

Lightweight 16 and 17 year old boys who have still to fully mature to play against big bruisers in the 2nd division, no thanks. Perhaps when they get to under 19 level they could play in these divisions on loan.

I don't give a fuck about them playing against big bruisers. If they get into the Rangers team, they'll get plenty of that in the SPL anyway.

Our boys are not getting it for some reason. Maybe a brush with reality, and where they could end up, would give them the motivation to get their heads down and be all they can be.

Some will benefit and make it, and the others will not. It's up to them to decide whether they want to give it their best shot, instead of maybe being a Billy big baws before they drop into obscurity like plenty before them.

The U17s and U19s are competitive enough for the lads who are still eligible. Maybe for those who are not first team ready by the time they are too old for youth football its an idea, but even then I'm not keen on 20 year olds moving from potentially training with our first team to part time football.

IMO our young players deserve the best coaching, facilities and treatment from U10s all the way up to the first team but anyone can see that they need first team football as well.

As much as I don't agree, I remember Charlie Adam talking about the kick up the arse it he got when he first moved to blackpool and the players where responsible for washing their own kit! Didn't seem to do him any harm so you may have a point.

The U17s and U19s are competitive enough for the lads who are still eligible. Maybe for those who are not first team ready by the time they are too old for youth football its an idea, but even then I'm not keen on 20 year olds moving from potentially training with our first team to part time football.

IMO our young players deserve the best coaching, facilities and treatment from U10s all the way up to the first team but anyone can see that they need first team football as well.

As much as I don't agree, I remember Charlie Adam talking about the kick up the arse it he got when he first moved to blackpool and the players where responsible for washing their own kit! Didn't seem to do him any harm so you may have a point.

This embodies the whole point of the thread...but let's not wait until they are as old as Charlie, with years of idiocy and unprofessional eating and living behind him.

Because we wouldn't get to play guys like DJ, Willie Henderson, and Barry Ferguson, who all "got it" without a lesson in what it means to play for Rangers?

Barry Ferguson was over a decade ago and the other two were in a completely different era which in no way can be compared to now.

If there is a problem with the youngsters at Rangers it is down to the coaches not instilling discipline into them. The state of the art training facility is ideal.....as long as there is a system in place at the club which enables it to fulfil it's potential. The inability of young players to break through, especially at a time when the standard of player we have is poor, either means they are not good enough or the management are unwilling to pick a team on merit, no matter what age they are.

Something needs to change, but I doubt that a mass exodus to the lower divisions would do little more than keep their fitness up. Now being loaned out to smaller teams in Holland, France or Spain.........

By the time a Rangers youth gets to 16 or 17, he should be good enough to play in a second division side at the very minimum.

So, should we have a policy where we try to get every one of them a 6 month loan at one of the wee clubs? Not just to get them some competitive game experience, but mainly to teach them something about the position they are currently in with Rangers.

I think some of our young guys need to be getting a jolt to their system to make them appreciate the chance they've got, and going to a wee club with basic facilities and part time players might be just the thing to give them an insight into where they could end up playing if they don't eat, sleep and train like athletes and professionals.

I don't think it would do them any harm to have to frequent a wee ground without oak panels in the dressing room, go out in the cold and rain a few evenings a week for training without state of the art facilities, and hearing stories of what shite his team mates had to take from their gaffers down t' pit to get to training on time that day.

Maybe also hearing moans and groans in the dressing room, about some guys saving for a car or a holiday, or how they can't go for a night out until they get paid next week, they might realise how privileged it is to be looking at earning maybe 7 or 8 hundred quid a week next year if they do great, never mind 2 or 3 grand a week if they can make the first team squad...and then the riches beyond that.

Maybe a wee stint having to mix with those who will never make it big, and who will never become millionaires, and who train after their work at a ground on a par with a Junior outfit, and who have money worries and concerns about their future, might just make them realise how lucky they would be to force their way into staying with the greatest club on earth.

We're not producing enough players from the talent we get at a young age. Perhaps it's time for them to get the motivation of an insight into life outside of Rangers, at an early age.

Some decent points in the OP but while just about any 16 year old at Rangers would have the skill to play in the 3rd or even the 2nd division - on a physical level they would definitely struggle to hold their own against more mature players.

Maybe by the time they reach 18 it would be good for their development to be loaned out to 1st or 2nd division clubs - but not before then IMO.

Barry Ferguson was over a decade ago and the other two were in a completely different era which in no way can be compared to now.

If there is a problem with the youngsters at Rangers it is down to the coaches not instilling discipline into them. The state of the art training facility is ideal.....as long as there is a system in place at the club which enables it to fulfil it's potential. The inability of young players to break through, especially at a time when the standard of player we have is poor, either means they are not good enough or the management are unwilling to pick a team on merit, no matter what age they are.

Something needs to change, but I doubt that a mass exodus to the lower divisions would do little more than keep their fitness up. Now being loaned out to smaller teams in Holland, France or Spain.........

Barry might have been over a decade ago, but if you check out recent threads about strikers coming through at Ibrox, it's been about 30 years since we had a home grown one. Something's going wrong. It might be the coaching (and I dont' have confidence in any of our coaches), but maybe motivation is also something they don't have.

Out of the millions of kids in this country, we are getting almost fuck all of note coming through the youths. There has to be a reason, and I want to make sure it's NOT that they come to Ibrox and think they've now made it.

Some of these guys must be good enough, but they might not realise what is required to make it in football unless someone teaches them a lesson on life.

That's all.

Barry might have been over a decade ago, but if you check out recent threads about strikers coming through at Ibrox, it's been about 30 years since we had a home grown one. Something's going wrong. It might be the coaching (and I dont' have confidence in any of our coaches), but maybe motivation is also something they don't have.

Out of the millions of kids in this country, we are getting almost fuck all of note coming through the youths. There has to be a reason, and I want to make sure it's NOT that they come to Ibrox and think they've now made it.

Some of these guys must be good enough, but they might not realise what is required to make it in football unless someone teaches them a lesson on life.

That's all.

Fair enough, attitude will have a bearing, but very few leave Ibrox and flourish elsewhere. I do think that the selection process for players is all wrong in the Scottish game as a whole. They would rather teach a gifted athlete to play football, than show a gifted footballer how to keep himself fit and healthy. Until this changes, I don't see much improvement.

Fair enough, attitude will have a bearing, but very few leave Ibrox and flourish elsewhere. I do think that the selection process for players is all wrong in the Scottish game as a whole. They would rather teach a gifted athlete to play football, than show a gifted footballer how to keep himself fit and healthy. Until this changes, I don't see much improvement.

Getting to the point of the OP, maybe we should show more young players where they will end up if they don't eat, live, and train properly.

Maybe a look at reality of players struggling on a few hundred quid a week, would make Rangers prospects want to do their best to avoid that kind of shit...the kind of shit that lesser players, along with all other people in society have to face?

Get them a reality check early on, and if it doesn't do the trick then fuck them. I'm sure it'll sink into some.