Portsmouth and redundancies

jmo21

if a employee is made redundant he is entitled to the rest of the wages hes due to be paid for the remainder of his contract plus redundancy fee's as well as severance pay for his years at the club. portsmouth are saving a few million by agreeing some sort of compromise with kanu kitson lawrence and ben haim, or atleast thats what fm tells me

Unsure of the exact reasons, and you may well know this next bit but as i understand, there is a difficult hurdle for Portsmouth (and it might have applied to us had we proceeded with redundancies)to get over in terms of redundancy in that: redundancy refers to the post/job/position being no longer required/viable within a company. If you therefore make footballers redundant and subsequently employ footballers in order to continue playing football, then under the laws you might have breached the terms of those laws by replacing someone directly to do the same post/job/position as those you have just let go.

Maybe not explained by me too well there but the gist is that companies do not make a "person" redundant, they make a "post" redundant and cannot then employ others to work in a post that you have just gotten rid of.