Help from Shettleston Bears

Sweetheart

‘Tank Wilson’

John ‘Tank’ Wilson was born to Robert and Catherine in 1905, He married Elizabeth Spittle Rhymer in 1928 age 22. At that time he was working as a coal miner.

The information is for the latter end of ‘Tanks’ career as a footballer.

In The Evening Telegraph 4th March 1935 it was reported that he fractured his leg in a game against Kings.

“In the rough-and-tumble of the raid on the home goal (which by the way, ended King’s scoring their only counter), the left half secured to collide with Becci who fell on top of him. Wilson tried unsuccessfully to rise”.

Later that month The Evening Telegraph 25th March 1935 reported that ‘Tank’ had been taken to Arbroath Infirmary, and that his play was being missed.

“When ‘Tank’ Wilson was taken off to Arbroath Infirmary with a fractured leg, it was the general opinion that the most whole-hearted player belonging to Gayfield had been lost to the club”.

In the Dundee Courier 25th April 1935 ‘Tank was reported to be making progress, and went to watch the county cup game.

“‘Tank’ Wilson the Arbroath left-half who sustained a fractured leg a couple of months ago, is making steady progress towards recovery, although still in Arbroath Infirmary. He was able to visit Gayfield to watch the Arbroath v Brechin county cup tie, and as he walked with the aid of crutches to a seat in the front stand he was given a rousing cheer.”

August 12th 1935 “THE BABES” at Ibrox

EveningTelegraph-Monday12August1935pic.jpg

The Evening Telegraph 15TH October 1935 reports a change of club for ‘Tank’.

“Brechin City in an attempt to get out of the morass into which the club is now placed but with 3 points from 10 games, have signed two new players of experience. They are ‘Tank’ Wilson the former centre-half of Arbroath and White. A forward or half-back who assisted Montrose and Dundee United.

Wilson who had one of his legs broken while playing for Arbroath last season, turn out at right-half for Brechin City on Saturday, and his injured limb appeared to be o.k.”.

Evening Telegraph 25th October 1935 reports of ‘Tanks’ progress at Brechin.

“’Tank’ Wilson the Arbroath favourite, who has not played since that unfortunate afternoon in March when he sustained a fractured leg, is a very useful centre-back.”

Dundee Courier 21st November 1935 ‘Tank gets suspended. Seems there was a wee to- do on the pitch.

“ Brechin City were the subject of an adverse report, and the committee took a little time to consider this case. They dealt with two players and an official, and in addition decided to the conduct of spectators.

The players carpeted were ‘Tank’ Wilson a former Arbroath stalwart who played a few games for city, and J.R. Morrison. The former was suspended for one month and the latter severely censured. D. Farquhar, a Brechin linesman, was instructed not to act in that capacity again.

10th Feburary 1936 Dundee Courier reports another change of club for ‘Tank’

“’Tank’ Wilson who joined Arbroath from Vale of Clyde, and recently assisted Breachin, is to play for Stranraer”

the story continues...........

No connection or any use to the thread, but I have to ask.

I knew a guy called "Tank" Wilson when I was a lad (10) in 1976 he would have been about 14. I assumed he was called "Tank" because he was pretty solid an the best at "British bulldogs".

Is there another reason?

No connection or any use to the thread, but I have to ask.

I knew a guy called "Tank" Wilson when I was a lad (10) in 1976 he would have been about 14. I assumed he was called "Tank" because he was pretty solid an the best at "British bulldogs".

Is there another reason?

Hubby told me that his grandad got his name 'Tank' for being a solid player.

Hubby told me that his grandad got his name 'Tank' for being a solid player.

I like the history behind the name tank: i think it was coined in WW1 as a codeword for the fighting vehicles they were building at the time, subsequently to be known as, surprise surprise Tanks

"Tanks in World War I were developed separately and simultaneously by Great Britain and France as a means to break the deadlock of trench warfare on the Western Front. Their first use in combat was by the British Army on September 15, 1916 at Flers-Courcelette, during the Battle of the Somme. The name "tank" was adopted by the British during the early stages of their development, as a security measure to conceal their purpose"

I like the history behind the name tank: i think it was coined in WW1 as a codeword for the fighting vehicles they were building at the time, subsequently to be known as, surprise surprise Tanks

"Tanks in World War I were developed separately and simultaneously by Great Britain and France as a means to break the deadlock of trench warfare on the Western Front. Their first use in combat was by the British Army on September 15, 1916 at Flers-Courcelette, during the Battle of the Somme. The name "tank" was adopted by the British during the early stages of their development, as a security measure to conceal their purpose"

Found out from a family member that he did serve in the war, think it may have been World war II.I don't know what regiment, but I was reading that a lot of football clubs closed doors for the War years as their members were called up for war duty.

Football during war time is an interesting subject all on its own

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wartime_seasons_in_Scottish_football

Games did continue to be played however the structure and nature of competitions changed due to the circumstances

I dont know too much about it but what i do know is fascinating

Football during war time is an interesting subject all on its own

http://en.wikipedia....ottish_football

Games did continue to be played however the structure and nature of competitions changed due to the circumstances

I dont know too much about it but what i do know is fascinating

Thx for the link, There's a nice wee pic on the Arbroath link also, just trying to work out if my hubby's Grandad is on it. :D

Thanx to Arbroath FC for the following info, thought I'd Share it with you.

John 'Tank' Wilson was a centre half or half-back and he was signed by Arbroath in August 1934 after playing a successful trial against King’s Park at Stirling. He played 25 league games in season 1934-35 and featured in one Scottish Cup match and one Forfarshire Cup tie. He scored just the one goal. His final game, ironically, appears to have again been against King’s Park, at Gayfield, on 2nd March 1935 when he was carried off with 15 minutes to go, having broken his left leg after colliding with team-mate ‘Teal’ Becci in an unsuccessful attempt to stop the visitors from scoring. Arbroath went on to win promotion after finishing runners-up behind Third Lanark in the league. He doesn’t seem to have played for Arbroath again

Came across this on my search, don't think it will be 'Tank' Wilson as he would have only been 8 at the time.

Wilson

From RangersPedia

Jump to: navigation, search

??? Wilson

180px-Nophoto.gif

Personal Information

Full Name:??? Wilson

Height:0.00

Date Of Birth:Unknown

City Of Birth:Unknown

Country Of Birth:ScotlandFlag_of_Scotland.png

Club Information

Shirt Number:

Position: Forward

Debut:20/8/1913 vs Queen's Park (a) 3-2

Played his only game in a benefit match for William Sellar.

Rangers Career Statistics

Season League Cup Minor Friendlies Total Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals 1913/14 - - - - - -

Honours

No honours whilst at Rangers

External Links

Retrieved from "http://www.rangerspe...son&oldid=15288"

Category:

Personal tools

Thanx to the Scottish Football Museum for the following info; thought i'd share it with you.

He signed for Vale of Clyde on 29th June 1933 which made him about 28 years old which is very unusual for those times . He then moved to Arbroath and signed for them on 28th August 1934 . While at Arbroath one of his teammates was a guy called Atillio P. Becci and this will be the guy who fell on him . On the 15th October he signed for Brechin City but his registration was cancelled on 13th February 1936 . He joined Stranraer on 14th November 1936 and on 6th November 1937 Stranraer won the Qualifying Cup . In one of our books there is a photograph of the winning team and John is standing in the back row .