Response to my complaint to BBC Trust

True Azure

Dear Mr *******

Thank you for your email to the BBC Trust. I am responding as a member of the BBC Trust Unit which supports the Chairman and Trustees.

I note your concerns about coverage of Rangers FC.

I should explain that the role of the Trust is distinct from that of the BBC management and it has no role in day to day editorial decisions such as how to cover individual news stories or sports events. The Trust sets the overall strategy for the BBC and the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines which set out the values and standards BBC content should meet, however, responsibility for the BBC’s content, within this strategy, rests with the Director-General as Editor-in-Chief.

The Trust does have a role in the complaints process, but only at the final stage, hearing complaints on appeal. Before the Trust can become involved in a complaint the BBC management must first have had the opportunity to respond. Details of the complaints process are available online at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints. I have therefore passed your email to BBC Audience Services so that they can provide you with a response on behalf of the BBC’s management.

I hope this will be helpful.

Kate Whannel

This was my complaint about Spence and Speirs