internet sharing problem

Ryan

Hey folks.

recently got a new laptop with windows vista on it *shudder, thinking of installing XP on it* and I'm having trouble sharing the internet connection from my desktop to this laptop.

It's a wired connection run through an ethernet switch, I've already set up file sharing etc, works perfect, but I don't have any idea how to get the internet working on my laptop. any ideas guys?

go into ur Network options where ur network is, right click on it and og to Properties, make sure u have the follow in the middle box areas, "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" , "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios...." , NWLink Net Bios. In the protocol TCP/IP click on properties and u shud have get IP Adress automatically... make sure in the NWLink IPX/SPX Properties in the first box shud be 8 0's, if u already have that then try inputtin the IP Directly into the TCP/IP Properties bit, by getting the IPS off ur modem think its 168.192.0.1 ? into IE, not sure.... if none of that works come back got some other things u can try.

go into ur Network options where ur network is, right click on it and og to Properties, make sure u have the follow in the middle box areas, "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" , "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios...." , NWLink Net Bios. In the protocol TCP/IP click on properties and u shud have get IP Adress automatically... make sure in the NWLink IPX/SPX Properties in the first box shud be 8 0's, if u already have that then try inputtin the IP Directly into the TCP/IP Properties bit, by getting the IPS off ur modem think its 168.192.0.1 ? into IE, not sure.... if none of that works come back got some other things u can try.

the ip address for the LAN connection I have set to 192.168.100.1

then my xbox is 192.168.100.2

and my laptop i set to 192.168.100.3

seems to work for file sharing.

you lost me at the start mate :craphead:

lol gay, Networks r such fickle thing mate, very hard to explain over a forum, better to look at it first hand so u can fart about with it and see what the problem is :)

Hey folks.

recently got a new laptop with windows vista on it *shudder, thinking of installing XP on it* and I'm having trouble sharing the internet connection from my desktop to this laptop.

It's a wired connection run through an ethernet switch, I've already set up file sharing etc, works perfect, but I don't have any idea how to get the internet working on my laptop. any ideas guys?

buy a wireless router

Hey folks.

buy a wireless router

wireless is crap imo, and expensive. easier to use an ethernet switch with a cable.