Showing respect

Firstly Happy New Year from Oz, i hope everyone even the Tims have a safe and prosperous 2008.

The recent death of POD has caused some uproar from a few and some calming from others but the bottom line is how you show respect and react to someone passing away.

If Celtic want to retain some dignity in this then they should approach the SPL/SFA and agree to a status Quo on player suspensions. Rangers being a club of integrity have agreed to a postponement because some one from within the game has passed on while playing the game.

But how do you show respect?

My mother passed away only a couple of months ago and i had to make some hard calls, i live in Adelaide she in Scotland. I went to work as normal on the Monday and only left work to return home to Scotland when everything was finalised, this took 10 days, she died abroad.

Anyway as i asked how do you show respect, i carried on as best i could and life went on until such times that i could get home, i had many people show respect by showing some basic feelings and if they could they would attend the funeral work permitting . The fact is that life goes on and taking some time out to show some common decency was enough for me.

Should the game come to a halt , i dont know.

Should Celtic show some respect to Rangers, would i, i dont know.

Should we all show some respect to POD, 100% and if you cant you have some problems.

Would the players and fans playing with black armbands and a minutes silence be enough for me, 100%, dignity and respect would have been served as best we can. Now we will not be able to show that respect or will we still be required to have a minutes silence for the re arranged game, the answers are in there some where but i cant be sure what i think.

Anyway RIP Phil and all the best to your friends and family.

good post, but the whole situation is just becoming so messed up that any opinion can be twisted and construed as something wrong. The decision has been made and we just have to get over it wether or not we believe celtic have taken advantage of this or not. there are valid reasons from all camps but at the end of the day, phil o donnell has still passed and a respect must be shown. you gave some good reasons of how respects should be given at the match, what about now, what do the 60 thousand odd fans do who were going to the game do to show their respects, i think some will be thinking about POD, no doubt about it, but will they be devoting a whole day to thinking about him, i dont think so, he deserves respect and there were better times for doing this, eg the ways you mentioned, but we still have to put it aside and carry on with our schedule and keep winning, then when the celtic game does come around, beat them so they have no excuses

Flippin, when my mother died it was a first for me i hadn't lost any immediate family before and she was still young at 58, so the whole thing was a new situation to be in. I got on with life and the basic respect of an apology and our thoughts are with you was more than enough. When some people went overboard i honestly could have slapped them, dignity and respect means to allow them that in death as you would in life.

Where does that leave the OF game i still think the minutes silence would have been more respectful. I wouldn't expect someone who didn't know my mother to change there whole day or close down there workplace, but if they were to stand head bowed as we passed i would be happy.

Basic respect, life goes on but we acknowledge your loss.

Flippin, when my mother died it was a first for me i hadn't lost any immediate family before and she was still young at 58, so the whole thing was a new situation to be in. I got on with life and the basic respect of an apology and our thoughts are with you was more than enough. When some people went overboard i honestly could have slapped them, dignity and respect means to allow them that in death as you would in life.

Where does that leave the OF game i still think the minutes silence would have been more respectful. I wouldn't expect someone who didn't know my mother to change there whole day or close down there workplace, but if they were to stand head bowed as we passed i would be happy.

Basic respect, life goes on but we acknowledge your loss.

Nice post & sorry about your mother (tu)