Walter - Boys deserve the final now

Boab

Rangers manager Walter Smith believes his players deserve to be Uefa Cup finalists considering their route to Thursday's semi-final.

The second leg away to Fiorentina will be Rangers' 18th game in Europe this season, their campaign having started in the Champions League.

"For all their effort, the boys deserve to go to the final now," Smith told Rangers News.

"They have worked exceptionally hard. It would be great if we could make it."

The Uefa Cup tie against Fiorentina is tantalisingly poised at 0-0 after the first leg in Glasgow and Rangers will be looking for a repeat of the previous round when they beat Sporting Lisbon 2-0.

"It will not be easy, but we have shown this season that we can score away and hopefully we can do it again," he said.

These opportunities don't come around all that often, so there is a real excitement in the squad

Smith would love his players to unsettle Fiorentina at the Artemio Franchi Stadium as they aim to reach the final in Manchester on 14 May..

"I hope we can get to a situation where a certain amount of frustration does creep into their team, but they have experienced enough players," said Smith.

Assistant Ally McCoist believes Rangers face a stern test.

"They are a side who will have a right go at home," said the former Rangers striker.

"Fiorentina scored two at home at the weekend against Sampdoria, but they also lost two.

"We will have to defend well, but we have players who can nick a goal.

"These opportunities don't come around all that often, so there is a real excitement in the squad.

"The lads realise they might not get another chance like this one so it's one they need to grab.

"It's right up there with anything I've experienced as a player or assistant manager."

Smith's side can take heart from their last visit to Italy - a 3-2 Uefa Cup win over Livorno in October 2006.

That score remains the only-ever victory for a Scottish club on Italian soil, but Spanish defender Carlos Cuellar believes Rangers can improve on the record.

"My feelings are very positive," the 26-year-old told Spanish newspaper Marca.

"We were very focused throughout the whole match and Fiorentina did not have too many chances to score at Ibrox.

"I think that we have a great opportunity to reach the final. We can win and get through in Italy."