Kevin Thomson on him and Barry and his style of play

Boab

KEVIN THOMSON used to fear his midfield partnership with Barry Ferguson was doomed – now he reckons it can fire Rangers to victory in the UEFA Cup.

The former Hibs star – signed by Walter Smith for £2million 17 months ago – feels the pair now know how to compliment one another.

He said: “We had a rusty start in midfield. We had to learn how to play together, when to sit and when to go forward. But we’ve been learning plenty about each other in recent months.

“There is a better understanding between us now and it has all been clicking into place.

“Games can be won and lost in the middle of the park and we have to try to dominate.

“It’s important we keep possession better than we have been doing in our recent European games.

“Sometimes when other Continental teams have possession it feels like they have 22 players on the pitch because they make you work so hard toget the ball back.â€

Thomson is determined to play his natural game in midweek even if he risks falling foul of the referee.

Thomson has been booked 14 times this season in all competitions and been suspended twice in Europe.

However, the player insisted not one yellow card was deserved.

He said: “I’ve had 14 yellows but don’t think I’ve made a bad tackle all season.

“In the last couple of Old Firm games passions have been high and three or four tackles went unpunished – tackles that have been worse than any of mine.

“I won’t change my game – the manager likes me to make tackles and set the tone.â€

Thomson wants to see Rangers have a go at Zenit in the hope of winning the Cup in 90 minutes.

However, he has no fears if it goes to penalty kicks.

He said: “We are hard to break down and fanc your chances of keeping a clean sheet in any game.

“I’m sure the manager will have a few tricks up his sleeve and we will be set up to go out and win the final. It is not likely to be an open game, I can’t see it finishing 5-4.

“I hope we win in normal time but can feel confident if it goes to penalties. We’ve won three shoot-outs out of three this season.

“I didn’t need to take part in the penalty-kick decider against Fiorentina as we won in five spot-kicks.

“I was arguing with Carlos Cuellar, Davie Weir and Kirk Broadfoot who would take the sixth kick. In the end, we pointed to Neil Alexander!â€

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sco...78057-20414683/