Good article on whats needed for over the summer

Boab

Out with the old, in with the new

HUGH MacDONALD, Chief Sportswriter May 26 2008

The rest and recreation for Rangers' players on Saturday started prematurely. A lacklustre first half was followed by a 10-minute snooze in the second that was only ended with the considerable double shock of two Queen of the South goals.

They rallied with some desperation and can now limp off on holiday. But decisions remain for them and, crucially, Walter Smith. Next season starts now for the Rangers manager.

With commendable alacrity and some success, Smith has built a side that mounted a challenge in the league, won two cups and lost in a UEFA Cup final. He will accept that next season's target is simple in definition if difficult to achieve. He must win the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

advertisement

Four consecutive titles for Celtic strays uncomfortably close to the definition of intolerable for Rangers supporters. But who will Smith have on board for what will be a crucial journey?

The summer will quiver with speculation but Smith has immediate decisions closer to home. The first concerns Kris Boyd. The striker has pulled his side from the mire in two cup finals this season and was not in conciliatory mood after his rescue act on Saturday.

Smith does not consider the striker central to his plans. Boyd knows this. "The most important thing for me was to play. I have 90 minutes under the belt and have scored two goals," he said. But is he leaving the club? "I will go and think about it over the summer. I would have liked to have played more," he replied.

Can he go another season, spending much of it on the bench? "No," he said bluntly. "I don't think I can. I want to play."

That is as near the taciturn Boyd comes to a farewell speech. Smith, therefore, will need to increase his striking options as Daniel Cousin is likely to go and Nacho Novo is, at best, a bit-part player. Kenny Miller is the favoured option, at least in the rumour mill. The Rangers fans made it clear on Saturday he will not be welcomed with open arms by many.

Smith, too, faces decisions in defence. This aspect of Rangers play has been praised but there are deficiencies. Carlos Cuellar has had a miserable end to the season. This may be only a temporary blip but it will concern Smith who must be dismayed by the goals Rangers have lost recently from setpieces. David Weir and Christian Dailly also demand his attention.

Weir may sign for another season but he can not be anything more than a reinforcement. He has been heroic in playing more than 60 games this season but he must be an experienced back-up rather than a regular starter next season. Dailly would be a useful signing but he has a wife and four children in Essex. The decision on his future will rest on how he can resolve domestic issues. There must be a question mark, too, over Andy Webster. Smith needs to buy a centre half.

At right full-back, both Steven Whittaker and Kirk Broadfoot, who must have been devastated not to make the bench on Saturday, have not yet convinced.

A dependable, experienced recruit is needed.

The midfield area is full of problems. The immediate one is whether Steve Davis will stay. The Fulham midfielder was coy: "I have said all along I wanted to wait until the end of the season and now it is here. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here so if something can be sorted out, that's good. If not, we will see what happens."

It is believed Davis wants to continue playing in the English Premier League.

"I have not spoken to Fulham yet so everything is up in the air," he said. The Northern Irishman goes on holiday this week and expects to make a decision after that. He would be a useful addition but would eat heavily in Smith's budget in both transfer and wages. Thomas Buffel, another forlorn figure on Saturday, will go. Charlie Adam, who had a wretched night at Pittodrie, should be retained but needs to improve.

The big question remains. Who can give Rangers creative inspiration? Barry Ferguson's preferred role poses no sudden danger for opposing defences. His passing is neat, rather than threatening. His movement is constant, but he rarely goes beyond his strikers.

His effort cannot be faulted. His contribution must, though, be coolly assessed.

He is the heartbeat of the side. "It was not a great performance," he said of his team after the final. But he could have been referring to himself. He was showing the strain of fatigue at Hampden. "The amount of games . . .

it's crazy," he said, before alighting on an admirable factor in the new Rangers. "The spirit of the guys was fantastic and they kept going to the end."

This soul, however, needs a creative brain. The heartbeat needs a head. This type of player is expensive. Yet a 16-year-old offered more than a hint of promise in this regard. John Fleck strode on to the Hampden turf, his chunky frame and precocious authority offering a resemblance to Wayne Rooney.

His chance, in the first team, will come. And soon. His first direct action almost led to a goal. He drove with pace and purpose beyond the Queen of the South defence and supplied his captain with a pass that demanded, at least, a threatening shot on goal. Instead, Ferguson returned the ball to Fleck who was denied. "I can't believe I have missed it," he said. "I wasn't expecting it back."

He can, though, expect to be involve in more big days for Rangers. His ambition is palpable. "I just hope to be on the bench and I hope to get involved," he said of his expectations for next season. He turns 17 in the summer and next season should mark his breakthrough.

Fleck should be joined, in time, by Jordan McMillan, a powerful centre-half, and Dean Furman and Andrew Shinnie in midfield. Rory Loy is tipped to make the grade on the wing.

There is promise at Murray Park. Smith, though, needs reinforcements in defence, creativity in midfield and pace and goals up front. His summer siesta will be interrupted by the chirruping of agents calling his phone.

The Herald

As said in the title, I think its a pretty good article. Apart from the 'farewell speech' on Boyd, author seemes to have missed out the quotes from Monday.

Pretty accurate in my opinion. In addition i would push for at least one well known star player to be brought in. Not someone who is an out and out individualist on the pitch but someone in the mould of De boer who not only bring quality but bring attention and marketing value. I also think its good for the fans to have their own hero and to generate excitement.

Carlos Cuellar has had a miserable end to the season. This may be only a temporary blip but it will concern Smith....

Sorry??

That comment sticks out like a sport thumb - wtf is he on about?If the miserable end of season is meant to refer to the two big losses then it makes a certain sense, but if it's Cuellar's performance then the cunt (sorry - journo) is a fucking diddy.