Davie Cooper - Legend

13 hours ago, berkshirebear said:

Would loved to have seen him play.. can you imagine him playing in our team now!!

Is there any other camera angles of the goal he scored against celtic where he lobs every player on the park??!!

This post is going to sound weird but bear with me, Coops would probably not appear to look so great as to how he is remembered if playing with this squad, I remember Davie playing in those poor teams of the 80's and although he was a magician with the ball at his feet unfortunately for him the players around him weren't on his same wavelength, and I feel that this squad are pretty much the same, he was always one or two moves ahead of them in his thinking with the result being he was placing balls into empty spaces where someone should have been resulting in him looking like he was making poor decisions when in fact his thought process was brilliant, it was just that he never played with anyone around that time (80's) with the intelligence to exploit those spaces on a consistent basis. this led to him on many occasions looking disinterested or frustrated and he just drifted out of many games and in fact just looked lazy.

Compare that Davie Cooper to the Davie Cooper who played under Souness, and all the great players who followed him to Ibrox and that was when we got to see the real Davie Cooper, playing with real intelligent teammates, the real tragedy apart of course from his death is Davie only got to have another couple of seasons playing for us but what a joy that was for us fans seeing him in all his pomp at the top of his game, I personally feel robbed of only seeing Coop's playing in Souness's teams for that short period but at the same time feeling blessed at being alive at a time where I did get to witness watching the real Davie Cooper playing in a real Rangers team.