McCulloch's demise

Chef

RANGERS star Lee McCulloch believes David Weir can help him ease Smith's defensive headache.

Sporting Lisbon centre-back Tonel tops Rangers' wanted list but the Portuguese international's reported £2.8million transfer fee could prove a stumbling block. However, McCulloch is adamant he can be the answer, having started a new career in defence recently.

The 30-year-old said: "I feel as if I could play in central defence. It's not, obviously, my first position and the manager knows I can do a job for him in midfield. But I would certainly be happy to give it a go.

"I laughed the first time the manager asked me if I'd fancy playing at the back.

"But the more experience you have of playing in different positions, the better."

McCulloch started at the back for Rangers in the home wins over St Mirren and Aberdeen and the former Scotland ace revealed playing alongside someone with Weir's experience made his job easy.

He added: "Davie has been brilliant in giving me advice and, as he always says, you can never stop learning.

"When I played alongside him, he talked me through the games and I enjoyed it. I thought I did well next to Davie and his experience was superb for me.

"It's strange because I started my career as a striker at Motherwell then moved back to midfield at Wigan. Now I've played at centre-back for Rangers.

"I was having a joke with Barry Ferguson and told him it won't be long before he's being shifted back, too!"

McCulloch blames his struggle to nail down a position on Scottish attitudes to the game but is adamant he won't let the doubters get to him.

He added: "When I was at Wigan, I wasn't beating two or three men on the wing and then putting in a cross.

"That's never been my game but I did well down there. Then, when I came to Rangers, people were saying, 'he's never a winger'.

"But they don't know football so I try not to let it get tome. I wonder if they'll say the same thing about me as a defender!"

(thought id post this, maybe the best thing he can do is get to feck away fae here and allow tonel to come, dont want a waster to take a place of someone who may be miles apart for that position.

find it crazy that he can blame the fans attitudes to the game when it is plain to see he doesnt perform)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if stoke are wanting him we should be sending him packing, no question about it, i believe hes a hardy player wich is an atribute i believe a defender needs but i cant remember him having pace, skill, neat controled passing from defence, maybe with broadfoots height he will be our goalie soon :lol:

Its down to scottish attitude toward him , pish the attitude is simple he is not good enough for Rangers and never was

As far as am concerned it will be a great day when the useless article never pulls on a gers jersey again

"I laughed the first time the manager asked me if I'd fancy playing at the back."

Did you? We cried.

Did we cry harder than we did when Bougherra fucked up twice to cost us the game V Hertz?

The abuse McCulloch gets simply because he's Lee McCulloch and playing in an alien role is totally petty and sure evidence he's being demonised.

Yet his 2 displays in defence so far have been sound.

Stop slagging him off because he's LM and watch how he plays at the back.

"I laughed the first time the manager asked me if I'd fancy playing at the back."

Did you? We cried.

He laughed but at the same time said to himself

''Walter you are desperate Ive got this man eating out of my hand thanks Bazza mate'' :mutley:

Lee McCulloch is always coming out saying he can do a job here and there.

What is it with our club criticising us?

Your neither a striker, winger, central midfielder or centre back - fcuk off!

To be fair he didn't do much wrong at centre back, but also he's a big centre forward why the fuck did we sign him to play LM?

I think he's pretty much the epitome of Walter's 'jack of all trades' mentality.

"That's never been my game but I did well down there. Then, when I came to Rangers, people were saying, 'he's never a winger'.

"But they don't know football so I try not to let it get to me. I wonder if they'll say the same thing about me as a defender!"

McCulloch blames his struggle to nail down a position on Scottish attitudes to the game but is adamant he won't let the doubters get to him.

He added: "When I was at Wigan, I wasn't beating two or three men on the wing and then putting in a cross.

"But they don't know football so I try not to let it get tome. I wonder if they'll say the same thing about me as a defender!"

This part really annoys me. How silly of us for wanting our wide men to beat a man and put a cross in.

No-one is expecting him to beat two or three men and get in a cross. However I expect a left sided midfielder/winger to do this. So I blame Walter Smith. However Lee McCulloch should just shut the fcuk up. Steven Davis is not a winger, we don't demand him to beat a couple of men and deliver a dangerous cross into the box. He plays to his strengths and has the ability to do a good job out on the right whilst playing some excellent football.

Lee McCulloch get's paid a ridiculous amount of money and he is a truely awful footballer who at the age of almost 31 still does not know his proper position. Maybe it is your manager you should be having a dig at but that might affect your relationship with Watty and Ferguson.

You are an absolute arsehole, your rent a quote comments are beyond a joke and you are a horrendous footballer - now fcuk off.

This part really annoys me. How silly of us for wanting our wide men to beat a man and put a cross in.

No-one is expecting him to beat two or three men and get in a cross. However I expect a left sided midfielder/winger to do this. So I blame Walter Smith. However Lee McCulloch should just shut the fcuk up. Steven Davis is not a winger, we don't demand him to beat a couple of men and deliver a dangerous cross into the box. He plays to his strengths and has the ability to do a good job out on the right whilst playing some excellent football.

Lee McCulloch get's paid a ridiculous amount of money and he is a truely awful footballer who at the age of almost 31 still does not know his proper position. Maybe it is your manager you should be having a dig at but that might affect your relationship with Watty and Ferguson.

You are an absolute arsehole, your rent a quote comments are beyond a joke and you are a horrendous footballer - now fcuk off.

Good post mate - Sums it all up (tu)

I don't think I've ever disliked a player as much as McCulloch. His comments just go to show he has absolutely no respect for those who pay his wages. Hopefully Stoke come back in for him because can fuck off out of our club as soon as possible.

I don't see him leaving tbh.

I don't see our manager wanting to get rid of him and I can't see him wanting to leave behind his beloved Walter Smith and Barry Ferguson. He's at the club he supports, get's paid well and is near the rest of his family - I'm sure his wife was homesick?

I think we're stuck with him.

I think this is completely out of order tbh.

I don't ask for blind support. And I am as critical as the next man. But this kind of attitude about our players just isn't on in my book.

"Sporting Lisbon centre-back Tonel tops Rangers' wanted list but the Portuguese international's reported £2.8million transfer fee could prove a stumbling block."

If this part is true that Tonel would only cost £2.8M I say dump McCulloch and maybe three or four other fringe players and get him signed!

A proper defender for that kind of money cannot be out of Rangers reach if the manager really want´s the player.

I think this is completely out of order tbh.

I don't ask for blind support. And I am as critical as the next man. But this kind of attitude about our players just isn't on in my book.

I don't find it out of order at all. I'm sick of Lee McCulloch. I'm fed up of his comments and I can't stand him at all.