Went in sparring for the first time tonight at my boxing...

Been going boxing training for just over a year now, I just planned to go to stay fit. I usually do abit of bag work, the mitts, then a cirtuit.

Tonight there was a boy up who is in training for a fight, he was the Scottish Junior amatuer champion about 5 years ago. So the trainer asked if I wanted to go in for a spar, so I quite stupidly said yes :D So I was in for 3 x 1 1m 30sec rounds.

I don't think i've ever enjoyed anything so much, we were both told to keep it controlled and no throwing haymakers, just keep it to "boxing". He did hit me with a few, and I walked onto a dillion! For the last 30 seconds of the 3rd round the trainer told him to go for it and he had me backed up hitting me with all sorts but I managed to dodge and throw a right and I rocked him back which he was quite impressed with. I never knew anything could be so tiring, my legs were like jelly by the end up.

I'll definitely be giving it another go next week (tu)

Nice mate, sounds better than my first sparring session, I was running away from the guy :P

I was just delighted the trainer and the boy I was fighting knew how to keep it controlled, i'm quite sure if he wanted he would have taken me out in a couple of seconds.

It's amazing the adrenaline rush you get, I was mucking around with my brother a wee bit before it and he clipped me a couple of times and I could feel it but when you are in the ring you don't and I walked onto a few.

It was funny because there was about 10 at the side watching and when I got hit with his right I seen one out of the corner of my eye turning away with his hands over his face, it must have been a belter :lol:

Would love to get into boxing, that sounds awesome!!!

I'd recommend you just go for it, you obviously have a passion for boxing. I've read some of your posts about you wanting to lose weight, there is no better exercise to get you in shape and the weight will drop off.

Once you do it for a couple of months you will get addicted, I can't wait to go back now. Just even something about hitting the bags, it's great fun and it keeps you really fit.

Ive got a punchbag but no stand yet, dieing to get it so I can get up and running, theres a boxing academy down the road from me, which would be handy, ive got my mma gym on mondays/thursdays too but thats a good 1 hour trek on the bus to the otherside of edinburgh, this boxing club lets you use their gym facilities as a normal gym would too

Ive got a punchbag but no stand yet, dieing to get it so I can get up and running, theres a boxing academy down the road from me, which would be handy, ive got my mma gym on mondays/thursdays too but thats a good 1 hour trek on the bus to the otherside of edinburgh, this boxing club lets you use their gym facilities as a normal gym would too

How you finding the mma? I would love a shot at that but i'm happy just doing the boxing just now.

I was a 2nd dan in Tae Kwon Do and also british champion when I was younger, so all I need to now is work on my ground game and i'll be all set for UFC :pipe::D

How you finding the mma? I would love a shot at that but i'm happy just doing the boxing just now.

I was a 2nd dan in Tae Kwon Do and also british champion when I was younger, so all I need to now is work on my ground game and i'll be all set for UFC :pipe::D

finding it great mate, ive only been able to make it to my submission wrestling classes on thursdays but I feel im getting there, I had a roll with one of my mates and I had him in full mount (laid off the punches though) before I let him back into my guard and hooked him with my legs and he couldnt get out :D

im looking at that boxing academy and im gonna be going to my MMA Gym monday/thursday, so it might be mon-thur at these 2 gyms throughout the week

Ive never done anything like it before though, thats probably how we are so disadvantaged against the US in the sport of MMA at least, due to the americans school bringing up students with the possiblity of doing wrestling right through school and further education, they really are lucky

finding it great mate, ive only been able to make it to my submission wrestling classes on thursdays but I feel im getting there, I had a roll with one of my mates and I had him in full mount (laid off the punches though) before I let him back into my guard and hooked him with my legs and he couldnt get out :D

im looking at that boxing academy and im gonna be going to my MMA Gym monday/thursday, so it might be mon-thur at these 2 gyms throughout the week

Ive never done anything like it before though, thats probably how we are so disadvantaged against the US in the sport of MMA at least, due to the americans school bringing up students with the possiblity of doing wrestling right through school and further education, they really are lucky

When you got into full mount, you should have just unloaded on the guy :D

Take that out of context and it sounds gay :craphead:

theres no MMA gyms beside me i want to join one :(

Take that out of context and it sounds gay :craphead:

theres no MMA gyms beside me i want to join one :(

haha

I actually went to punch him and clipped him, thats when I stopped and he flung me off him and I hooked my legs round... I would have won by ground and pound though :P

sounds good this am quite interested have looked to see where my local boxing

Gym is !! what do you do just turn up or do you need to become a member?

Some clubs offer memberships so you can use the facilities, others are just pay as you turn up. They will give you a circuit, some bag work then some pad work. Once they think you are ready they will give you a chance to spar, that should be totally optional though (tu)

It's a buzz sparring with someone you know is good,i went toe to toe with the Scottish Champion in my weight group

at Thai boxing,great experience for both of us as he couldn't prevent my double jabs :lol: .

Dying to get back into it but the hours i work prevent it :anguish:

Good luck with it (tu)

Until a few years back I was a member of Prokick kick boxing club in Belfast under the tuition of former 3 time world champion Billy Murray. I remember the first occasion I was asked to share the ring with someone other than one of my fellow class members.

In front of the whole gym I was instructed to get in with Gary Hamilton, who at the time was world amateur champion and inside the next year would become world proffessional champion. I wasnt a practising fighter but was very fit and strong at the time and seen as the best in my class.

I had a session on the pads with him prior to a light spar and boy can he hit. My inner forearms were bruised for about 2 weeks. Great experience and what a buzz, in reality though in terms of punching power and the ability to absorb contact I was way out of my depth.

Good for you mate keep it up, just remember though - DUCK...

Been going boxing training for just over a year now, I just planned to go to stay fit. I usually do abit of bag work, the mitts, then a cirtuit.

Tonight there was a boy up who is in training for a fight, he was the Scottish Junior amatuer champion about 5 years ago. So the trainer asked if I wanted to go in for a spar, so I quite stupidly said yes :D So I was in for 3 x 1 1m 30sec rounds.

I don't think i've ever enjoyed anything so much, we were both told to keep it controlled and no throwing haymakers, just keep it to "boxing". He did hit me with a few, and I walked onto a dillion! For the last 30 seconds of the 3rd round the trainer told him to go for it and he had me backed up hitting me with all sorts but I managed to dodge and throw a right and I rocked him back which he was quite impressed with. I never knew anything could be so tiring, my legs were like jelly by the end up.

I'll definitely be giving it another go next week (tu)

Keep it up son. Its a great discipline to be part of. It'll teach you pride in yourself, and your confidence in life will grow.