A random Walter Smith observation

Danny

I remember last season some folk were suggesting that while we won the SPL, it was not with the first team that Smith would have chosen.

His favourites were guys who didn't seem to be doing it, like Broadfoot, Ferguson etc, and others like Velicka, Whittaker, Lafferty and Edu didn't get a look in to begin with, but were ultimately instrumental in winning us the league.

And yet how would Smith get credit for us winning the SPL when it was the team he wouldn't have picked which won the SPL?

The other side to this argument is thus:

Walter Smith signed these players, and chose to call upon them when the time was right. He didn't pick Hemdani in the middle, he picked Edu. He didn't pick Novo up top, he chose Velicka. He didn't choose Beasley, Aaron or McCulloch on the left, he chose Lafferty.

So while it wasn't the same team we started the season with, it was the players Walter Smith signed for squad depth which won us the league.

Dunno why I felt like talking about that, but there you go :)

I remember last season some folk were suggesting that while we won the SPL, it was not with the first team that Smith would have chosen.

His favourites were guys who didn't seem to be doing it, like Broadfoot, Ferguson etc, and others like Velicka, Whittaker, Lafferty and Edu didn't get a look in to begin with, but were ultimately instrumental in winning us the league.

And yet how would Smith get credit for us winning the SPL when it was the team he wouldn't have picked which won the SPL?

The other side to this argument is thus:

Walter Smith signed these players, and chose to call upon them when the time was right. He didn't pick Hemdani in the middle, he picked Edu. He didn't pick Novo up top, he chose Velicka. He didn't choose Beasley, Aaron or McCulloch on the left, he chose Lafferty.

So while it wasn't the same team we started the season with, it was the players Walter Smith signed for squad depth which won us the league.

Dunno why I felt like talking about that, but there you go :)

Each and every one of them played their part. Edu I think will be a huge part of our midfield in the coming seasons and was the pick of the litter over the last few games of the season, Velicka came in and his goals took us over the line. Lafferty and Miller who I doubted this time last year also came good and I truly believe if it wasn't for the energy and spark both Lafferty and Miller gave us we would be looking at 4 in a row at the tattiedome.