Tommy Wilson on the Reserve League being 'optional'

Boab

TOMMY WILSON has today confirmed that Rangers could be on the verge of pulling out of the SPL Reserve League.

Tommy WilsonWilson, speaking after his side's 2-0 win over Oxford United this afternoon, believes that arranging regular friendly fixtures throughout the year would be more beneficial than the current format.

Last season Rangers had to fulfil 22 Reserve league fixtures but this became increasingly difficult due to players moving on loan to gain first-team experience and injuries.

The club's under-19 starlets were also unavailable for selection as they had had league and SFA Youth Cup fixtures to focus on.

With the club's first-team squad being trimmed this summer Wilson believes this could be the right time to move on although the final decision will be made by Walter Smith and Chief Executive Martin Bain.

Tommy said: "My understanding is that playing in the league is optional now and it maybe that we as a club opt out of that.

"I am not entirely sure what is happening but I think a decision will be made soon and we will build our preparations and plans around that.

"Obviously it will be the Manager and Chief Executive that will make the call.

"But I think when there is a league there you have to fulfil fixtures whether you are ready or not.

"If it is a more informal arrangement then you can play the games when it suits yourself.

"We, as a club, need to take a balanced view and then decide what to do. I will then make any future plans for the team around that."

Moving away from the Reserve league would allow the club to organise Reserve games against Premiership or even foreign opposition and Wilson admits this is one of the attractions.

He added: "We are already doing this on Saturday when we take on Blackburn Rovers in a friendly and we will continue to do this providing we have a big enough group of players.

"If the league is no more for us some of our players may go on loan so there's a lot of things we need to take in to consideration."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1729204,00.html