Future not so bleak

gsa

I know there is alot of speculation regarding our financial state with alot of people (who should know better) talking about some mythical, all powerful, all knowing 'bank' that now runs things at Rangers. I like everyone else on here don't know the specifics of Rangers situation but I do know that unless you can't service your debt and are defaulting on your payments the 'bank' has little or no power to tell you how to run your business.

We now have a new chairman who may not bring with him millions of cash, but will surely bring fresh, ideas, enthusiasm and know-how. We have money from the Champions League, we have trimmed the squad of dead wood and ticket sales compare very favourably with clubs all over Europe at this time.

On the park the squad is decent, midfield in particular is looking strong with Thomson, Davis and Mendes being a class above 'Broony' and co accross the city and looking like they will compete well in Europe. The likes of Lafferty and Naismith have been at the club long enough now and we all expect them to start producing on a regular basis. I for one am very much looking forward to a slightly more attacking style of football.

I understand that alot of fans are screaming for a signing this summer and imo a defender to replace a quite weak looking Weir would be good but if we don't get anyone it's not the end of the world. I like many others have wanted Walter to give youth more of a chance and now it looks as though he will have to, I would prefer to give kids the chance to play and see what they are made of rather than sign another stop gap 30 + something.

I remember under Advocaat some of the games actually got boring because you were just sitting waiting to win 4-0, there is something hollow about beating St Mirren if you are doing it with a £60 million team. The fact is you don't need a team of stars to win the SPL. Europe is obviously tougher but I feel with the team we have we can at least go out and compete. Imo it would be stuped to go and spend £15 million for 6 games where anything could happen, yes we could get through but if we don't you are left with an expensive squad to play diddy teams.

If this season proves succesful it will be one of the most enjoyable ever because we have worked with what we've got and for once been sensible in the transfer market.

I have great hopes for the future and I feel more confident with the appointment of the new chairman than I have for a long time. Hopefully he'll bring great business opportunities for Rangers to generate much needed funds and maybe we can go back to the days of owning our own shops and being able to get decent sponsorship deals. Fingers and toes firmly crossed. The future's bright.

Good post.

2 games in and I'm quietly optimistic about the season. After tynecastle I think we have that look about us that we had before under Walter, always look like we are going to pick up the 3 points no matter how bad we are playing. Dont underestimate that result on Sunday, going 1-0 down at any away ground never mind tynecastle would normally be fatal for us, but we never looked like we were going to lose that game.

If we dont lose any big players we have a decent squad, defence is a major worry though. Big davie has started great guns and looks better than last season but the demands of so many games could take its toll. Whittaker is my biggest concern though, I dont know what it is but he just has disaster written all over him when we play the mhanks.

All in all though I have a feeling we will win the league again, not spectacularly but in a ruthless, grinding manner. I reckon they will be the mhanks of old under TB, scoring plenty of goals, thrashing the dross but drawing a lot of games as well.

Lets be honest, after the results the rest had in Europe, we should be pumping these teams week in week out. the fact that an average czech team with a bit of technical ability can horse the sheep 6-0 shows you how shite these teams are.

As for the finances, I really dont have a clue whats fact and whats fiction. All I do know, is that I hope the negative rumours are not true.