EU going after sports gamblers again

Bluenose77

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have a bit of a rant I need to get off my chest. Please humour me if you can.

The EU has recently ruled that it's ok for governments like Portugal, Germany and Greece to operate state-run gambling monopolies in those countries. Doesn't sound like a big deal. Except it has repercussions. Now that gamblers in those countries can't use the bookmakers of their choice, there is less competition between suppliers.

This means that anyone, no matter where they live, has to pay more if they want to bet on football. And it's all because politicians want to get more revenue for themselves.

There's a petition at www.right2bet.net trying to make betting cheaper for everyone. God knows I lose enough money as it is.

Rant over, please forgive me!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have a bit of a rant I need to get off my chest. Please humour me if you can.

The EU has recently ruled that it's ok for governments like Portugal, Germany and Greece to operate state-run gambling monopolies in those countries. Doesn't sound like a big deal. Except it has repercussions. Now that gamblers in those countries can't use the bookmakers of their choice, there is less competition between suppliers.

This means that anyone, no matter where they live, has to pay more if they want to bet on football. And it's all because politicians want to get more revenue for themselves.

There's a petition at www.right2bet.net trying to make betting cheaper for everyone. God knows I lose enough money as it is.

Rant over, please forgive me!

We don't have proper bookmakers in the UK any way. If you win with them on a regular basis you will be gubbed. OK that's my rant. ;)

I doubt this will have much effect on the likes of Pinnacle or The Greek.

A smart gambler will still win ;)

quite true

couple of guys i know win big all the time when gambling

you lot might have heard of them

william king and william hill are their names,

There's a Willie King just down the road fae me on Balmore road!

Two Willie Hill's up on Saracen as well :)

That's right, the less competitive odds mean consumers might for instance only get quoted 10-1 on an event when they would have been offered 12-1 if there had been more bookmakers competing for their business. In terms of EU competition law, its supposed to be that the EU allows open markets, so you should be able to access goods or services from any organisation within the EU without hefty tariffs and taxes (or in the case of the gambling laws, blocking you altogether).

So the EU is breaking its own free trade policy, that's why we should campaign to put it right. As Kev said, I smart gambler might still win, but he shouldn't have his winnings reduced by politicians!

• 2 weeks later...

There’s another petition set up as part of the same campaign, this one a little more fun. It’s called the naked petition, and features a sexy girl who’ll dance and strip when you sign her body. And she’ll send you another photo, which, trust me, you’ll want to see. It’s all still to get better deals on gambling, but have a look ;)