Deal talks are a mystery to Boyd

Kris Boyd says he is still in the dark over Rangers’ claims they have opened talks with his agent.

Ibrox chief executive Martin Bain told the club’s annual meeting he had spoken to the striker’s representative and insisted: “I am aware of what Kris sees as acceptable as a contract.”

However, that came as a surprise to the striker as he prepared for his side’s Champions League clash with Sevilla tonight.

He said: “It’s the first I’ve heard about it.”

The striker, who turned down a move to Birmingham in January, is out of contract at the end of the season.

Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist welcomed any move to keep the club’s top scorer, who – with 151 SPL goals – is closing in on Henrik Larsson’s record of 158.

McCoist said: “I think Kris is the best finisher in the country. Now that contract talks are under way, hopefully something can be sorted.”

Rangers are aiming to land a cash jackpot tonight by picking up a result against Sevilla.

The Ibrox club could bank £750,000 for a win and even a draw would net them a £350,000 bonus.

“We are playing for a lot of things,” said McCoist. “We are determined to put on a good performance as we’ve performed well away form home in Europe this season.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/deal-t...o-boyd-1.991058

Walter Smith is concerned that the contract talks aimed at keeping the striker at Rangers could hit deadlock.

The No 9 has reopened negotiations on a new deal with chief executive Martin Bain, who won't make an offer until he has digested the demands of the player's agent.

In just three weeks Boyd will be free to get lucrative pre-contract offers from England, Germany and Turkey, with Galatasaray heading the queue.

And Smith fears it could be touch and go whether the fans' favourite remains in Light Blue.

He said: "It's good news we are able to speak to the players who are coming out of contract, the ones we want to keep.

"That obviously includes Kris.

"I don't know if we'll be able to make him an attractive enough offer. There are a lot of variables.

"If you pick up the papers, according to them he's been offered an awful lot of money elsewhere.

"Whether he has or not, I don't know.

"But Rangers are in a position now to make him an offer when we weren't able to before.

"At least we are ahead in that respect.But whether it will be enough or not remains to be seen."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...ract-talks.html

If that's the case then it is worrying that nothing has taken place since the AGM, especially with Bain saying his agent had been contacted.

Maybe boyds agents demands are too great?

His agent is only acting on Boyd behalf remember, Boyd will know what he wants.

i fail to believe those are walters exact words, does make me wonder and in fairness the press aint to be trusted at all, lets look at the positives, we can organise new contracts now whereas we were not in that situation last week, plus boyd will stay as i believe he wants to beat the records that he is gonna destroy in this league and for a rangers fan that he is i think this is on his mind even more than money, he has a good few yrs yet to get a move and i think he knows this

I heard months ago that Rangers were willing to offer Boyd a deal on similar terms but he feels he is worth improved terms and should be up there with the higher earners which the club are not willing to do and negotiations have been more or less at a standstill ever since, The only way i think Boyd will sign a new deal is if noone comes in with a significantly higher offer for him.