Walter Smith Close To Equalling Record

MartinGers93

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11788_5977750,00.html

Smith hails Stein record

Smith believes Stein was in a class of his own

Rangers boss Walter Smith is close to emulating Jock Stein's Old Firm record, but insists he is nowhere near the standard of the former Celtic great.

A Rangers victory in the Glasgow derby on Sunday would see Smith equal Stein and ex-Ibrox manager Scott Symon's record of 26 wins in the crunch clash, but the former Scotland manager insists he has a long way to go.

"I didn't know I was close to equalling Mr Stein and Mr Symon's records and they did a lot of good in their times in charge of the two clubs," Smith told Rangers News.

"But while you can get close to them in terms of games won, I don't think I would even consider myself to be as close in terms of being a manager."

Smith would still be some way off pre-war Celtic manager Willie Maley, with 29 wins, and record holder Bill Struth, who led Rangers to 35 victories between 1920 and 1954.

No comparison

But the Ibrox manager, who celebrates his 62nd birthday today, also believes he cannot compare himself to Stein, who led Celtic to nine consecutive titles and the 1967 European Cup.

He added: "From my own point of view, Mr Stein has been an iconic figure for any of us who have been involved in management.

"Sir Alex Ferguson has gone to Manchester United and the success he has had there perhaps makes him the best Scottish manager ever.

"But, within this country, Mr Stein is without doubt the best there has been and I'm delighted to get anywhere near any record of his.

"While it's good to be close to that because of what has happened in the past, it's the present that means the most to us.

"Our focus at the moment must not be on what we've done before, but on what we need to do now and we have to keep winning."