David Weir :: Danny Keeping His Cool

Stu1993

by Lindsay Herron

DAVIE WEIR has praised teenager Danny Wilson for retaining his composure and his performance level despite speculation about his future.

It was confirmed on the web site last week that Liverpool have made an enquiry about the 18-year-old centre back and there is interest from other English clubs.

Rangers have made a contract offer to the youngster, who still has a year left of his current deal, but he has yet to accept or decline.

Wilson put in another good performance in last night's excellent 3-1 win over Aberdeen and he has now played three more top team matches than Madjid Bougherra.

Weir said: "Danny has done fantastically well. He has come into the team in Madjid's absence and although we have missed Madjid Danny has come in and made the transition with some ease.

"For someone of his age to come in and play with very little rest it is a big demand but he has coped with it very well."

Weir has also praised the young defender for remaining calm despite being in the media spotlight and has revealed that he will help him if he needs it.

He said: "I'll give him advice but Danny is a sensible enough lad. Until the club tells him something I'm sure he will continue to do what he is doing and it hasn't affected his performances and that's the greatest compliment you can give him.

"There has been much written about him and much said about him but he continues to perform on the pitch and that says a lot for him."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100408/danny-keeps-his-cool_2254024_2018612

0,,5~7569010,00.png

There is no doubt about it.This kid could be something very special if he screws the noggin and learns his craft, preferably at Ibrox and doesn't go the way of other starlets who played for Scottish clubs and who jumped the gun too early when going to a big English club.

Maybe he should study what happened to Liam Millar who went to Man Utd. when he was advised to stay a bit longer at Celtic, or Peter Marinello, who was dubbed "the next George Best" by the British Press when Hibs sold him to Arsenal for a record fee of 100,000 Pounds in 1970 which was the first time Arsenal had ever paid a six figure sum for a player, scored on his debut against Man Utd then only played around 50 games in 3 years for them before his career spiralled downwards at a great rate of knots.

If for instance Liverpool or any other top 6 club from England put in a bid and Wilson goes, does he think he will get many games in Central Defence with a team that's paid around 25 million quid for the two they already have there?

Carlos Cuellar found that out to his cost when he went to Villa and ended up playing at RB.I sure hope somebody talks some sense to the kid.

theres no doubt big davie will be talking to him, but like he said dannys a smart boy and can make his own choices. Just hope its the right one.

I agree with Davie that Danny is a smart boy and he can make his own choices.The thing that worries me regarding him staying with us is that he has an Agent who seems to be making the decisions for him and pulling the strings on whether he will sign a new contract with us or not.

Sometimes I detest these parasite agents.:angry:

You've also got to look at a team like Liverpool and how much they give youth a chance - there havent been too many in the recent past come through and played regularly. The likes of Lucas and Insua were bought in, not sure about Ngog.