Tiger Woods submits entry for 2010 U.S. Open

Tiger Woods filed his application to play in the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach on Monday, the day after he tied for fourth at the Masters.

The U.S. Open will be played June 17-20 at Pebble Beach where Woods won in 2000 by a major championship record 15 strokes over Ernie Els and Miguel Angel Jimenez. He counts three U.S. Opens among his 14 professional major championships.

Even if a player is exempt for the national championship, he must go through the process of formally submitting an application for entry. Applications close on April 28.

"Tiger has certainly filed an entry, and we're certainly anticipating that he's going to play. If someone fully exempt files an entry, generally speaking, they always do play," Mike Davis, USGA senior director of rules and competitions, told the Monterey Herald.

"It'd be very unusual for someone fully exempt like Tiger to file an entry and not play, but it does happen if someone's knee gets hurt or something like that."

Woods ended a five-month break from competition at the Masters after a Thanksgiving night car accident that led to revelations of multiple affairs and a 45-day stint in rehab. He did not say when he would play next on Sunday, only that he would evaluate his options.

Normally, Woods would have played at least three times between the Masters and the U.S. Open -- at the Quail Hollow Championship, THE PLAYERS Championship and the Memorial Tournament presented by Morgan Stanley.

Phil Mickelson, the only player with a chance to win the Grand Slam in 2010 after his Masters victory on Sunday, has also filed his application. Mickelson has five runner-up finishes at the U.S. Open, including last year.

How many other golfers could take 5mths off without swinging a golf club, have all the shit that's came his way, come back and be in contention for the Masters?

I reckon Tiger may come back and ultimately be more focused and stronger.

I think this too.

A big factor in not winning the Masters was lack of tournament practise. He will be playing Quail Hollow before the US Open so I think he thinks this way as well.

After a while longer to get back into the flow I think he'll come back a better player than before.