hypocritical scotland

kirkiebear

Non rangers supporting fans for all around scotland have been condemming us for years now for singing songs about bygone wars and discrimination against another country.

Iam proud to be scottsih but it annoys m when fellow scotland fans attack my club over these songs, yet on saturday, and at every other scotland match, they will be singing songs about killing the english.

Non rangers supporting fans for all around scotland have been condemming us for years now for singing songs about bygone wars and discrimination against another country.

Iam proud to be scottsih but it annoys m when fellow scotland fans attack my club over these songs, yet on saturday, and at every other scotland match, they will be singing songs about killing the english.

Well said championee

*waits for someone to tell me we have to sort out our own house first*

If anti-english sentiment is spouted on Saturday , contact the rags and ask them to tackle the situation of the racism of scottish fans ?? perhaps even ask UEFA to investigate !!!! :rolleyes:

As Ive siad all along way back on the BBC forum...........Feck Scotland

WE ARE THE PEOPLE NO SURRENDER RULE BRITANNIA

Stick the barstewards right in (beer)

It's a very valid point though , are anti-english chants and songs any less pallatable than sectarian or indeed racist chants or songs ?? indeed i believe the newspapers actually encourage anti-english sentiment during majot tourneys involving England.

With regard to getting Scotland into bother , i agree it's difficult but Rangers mean more to me than the national side ever will.

It's a very valid point though , are anti-english chants and songs any less pallatable than sectarian or indeed racist chants or songs ?? indeed i believe the newspapers actually encourage anti-english sentiment during majot tourneys involving England.

With regard to getting Scotland into bother , i agree it's difficult but Rangers mean more to me than the national side ever will.

We need to start drawing attention to every other kunts chants and that includes Scotland fans....feck the lot of them :Animation44:

I have to agree with your sentiments.

Racism against English people is rife and is institutional. I recollect the Labour leader, Mr McConnell eulogising at the World Cup in 2006 - how he wanted England to get beat. Why Jack ? - because it's England, which exposes a deep rooted bigotry and dislike of people from south of the border. I was embarrassed ! Consequently, we then have sporadic incidents and acts of violence committed by and against English people (or Scots). We don't need persons, stoking the flames of hate and division. Another clear case of "double standards".

Further, I am ashamed to have the anthem of Scotland, which is essentially a political song, belted out and the divisive words contained therein. The reference ""and - stood against him, proud edward's army etc""; and the rest is anti English and in my opinion overtly racist and divisive. There is no need to encourage bitterness in our society and once again, we as a nation need to have a look at ourselves. The song is offensive to me as a tolerant Scot, certainly, "not in my name ", as much as the words are offensive to its targeted audience - persons from England.

You are correct, any anti English sentiment / racism needs to be addressed and should be brought to UEFA, if not FIFA's attention and appropriate sanction taken. Sadly, Scotland as a nation has a massive "chip" on it shoulder with regard to England, which is deep rooted and unfortunately, culturally bigoted and racist. England, does not have this problem with Scotland as they are more outward looking and have less antipathy towards Scotland. I write this as a Scot, born and bred - as were all my forefathers, but sometimes our behaviour is shameful and highly embarrassing - just like other singing one hears at football matches.

Racism against English people is rife and is institutional. I recollect the Labour leader, Mr McConnell eulogising at the World Cup in 2006 - how he wanted England to get beat. Why Jack ? - because it's England, which exposes a deep rooted bigotry and dislike of people from south of the border. I was embarrassed ! Consequently, we then have sporadic incidents and acts of violence committed by and against English people (or Scots). We don't need persons, stoking the flames of hate and division. Another clear case of "double standards".

Further, I am ashamed to have the anthem of Scotland, which is essentially a political song, belted out and the divisive words contained therein. The reference ""and - stood against him, proud edward's army etc""; and the rest is anti English and in my opinion overtly racist and divisive. There is no need to encourage bitterness in our society and once again, we as a nation need to have a look at ourselves. The song is offensive to me as a tolerant Scot, certainly, "not in my name ", as much as the words are offensive to its targeted audience - persons from England.

You are correct, any anti English sentiment / racism needs to be addressed and should be brought to UEFA, if not FIFA's attention and appropriate sanction taken. Sadly, Scotland as a nation has a massive "chip" on it shoulder with regard to England, which is deep rooted and unfortunately, culturally bigoted and racist. England, does not have this problem with Scotland as they are more outward looking and have less antipathy towards Scotland. I write this as a Scot, born and bred - as were all my forefathers, but sometimes our behaviour is shameful and highly embarrassing - just like other singing one hears at football matches.

Well put sir !!!

I love my country, am fiercely proud of my Scottish identity and attend all home national games. However it really pisses me off that anti - english songs sung at games are passed off as harmless fun from the good old tartan army. This is encouraged by the scottish media who seem themselves to indulge in borderline racism whenever england participate in a major tournament. As someone who works for an english company I feel embarrassed by this as the vast majority of english are either indifferent to or support our national team.

Imagine the outrage if Ibrox rose in unison to the tune of stand up if you hate catholics???

Great post kirkiebear and I 100% agree. (tu)

Well put sir !!!

Smurf - I have often thought about this and believe it's time for a number of these institutionial issues to be put on the table and addressed. I honestly have had to apologise to English people of all colours and faith's with regard to "Scotland's real shame" and deep rooted hatred (in many quarters) of England. I am proud of my country Scotland, but not when I hear such blatant racism. I'm sure a number of us feel the same and that's why we as a nation - need to "move on" - sadly, many cannot.

Well put sir !!!

Smurf - I have often thought about this and believe it's time for a number of these institutionial issues to be put on the table and addressed. I honestly have had to apologise to English people of all colours and faith's with regard to "Scotland's real shame" and deep rooted hatred (in many quarters) of England. I am proud of my country Scotland, but not when I hear such blatant racism. I'm sure a number of us feel the same and that's why we as a nation - need to "move on" - sadly, many cannot.

My best mate is English and a Celtic supporter (god knows why they hate the english as much as us !!!!) , however having visited his family in England i've never once encountered anti-scottish sentiment , however up here he is constantly hit with being and English B , sometimes even at work in jest , however at work would they ever call anyone a black B or a Fenian B or a DOB !!!! - No so why make reference to his nationality !!!!

Time for Scotland to grow up !!!!!

I remember meeting my ex girlfriends family for the first time...They're families had originated from Ireland, staunch Catholics. Dundee FC supporters but preferred Celtic over Rangers.

When finding out I was a Rangers supporter, the first thing her uncle said with a smug smile on his face was "I've got a question for ya...Why do Rangers supporters fly Union Jacks at Ibrox." I assume he expected to put me on the spot and I would be speechless. I felt like asking why do Celtic supporters fly Irish flags at Parkhead...But instead answered the question with "We were born British and we follow British rule." "But why, why?" Is the response I got. Is it that hard to work out? It's like asking an Italian at an Italy game why he's flying an Italian flag.

I hate the fact that some Scottish people who hate the English, feel everyone else Scottish should too. My thoughts are that most of them do not know facts and only come to this conclusion after watching Braveheart.

This girl I had been meeting, I asked her why she disliked the English and she said "Because I do." I made a few comments but got nowhere with her. No point in debating with the ignorant, so that was that.

*Ahem* Ladies, you'll be pleased to know that relationship ended months ago championee :P

Smurf -

Sounds familiar rhetoric to much I've seen. I think now is the time to deal with these issues further. I for one, if I hear anything anti English and racist - will be taking it forward with UEFA and FIFA. I hope others do the same and we can post a thread re - this on Saturday. Hopefully, Scotland will qualify for EC 2008 and given my location, it will be handy to watch some games. But, racism needs to be tackled.

Jeff -

Sorry to hear of the racism you suffer. Least, you know that you are with friends - who value people for who they are, not where they were born, their religion .... or their accents. Our club was fonded with tolerance and overwhelmingly that's what we stand for and from the posts I've seen on this - we are all united in that respect. As a Scot and I speak for my fellow bears - welcome !!

The thing is, if we complain about it we get accused of being anti-scottish and pro-english which is pathetic seeing as the SFA and the rest of Scotland have done nothing to help our cause when appealing to UEFA.

Time to fight fire with fire. What goes around comes around. They opened the can of worms.....(sorry about the cliches)

Dado,

This has nothing to do about being anti Scottish, if anything it embodies being Scottish - being decent, tolerant, inclusive and open - to all people, even one's born south of Gretna Green. Obviously, those who may criticise are the bigots as they oppose these core human values ! - and they cannot accept their actions are wrong.

Further, if you progress this issue, you are doing it as a citizen, nothing to do with any team you support or not, its about equality and standing up to make a difference and making your opinion count, and also re-educating people. Sometimes you have to take lawful action, which you would never previously contemplate, moreso when you see wrong and double standards, which is not equitable, but corrupt. "Never for the sake of peace and quiet, allow your principles to be silenced" !!