No cash That is your cue to be a SMASH

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: 06 Aug 2010

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

RSS Share it Email Print

GRAB your chance now or spend the rest of your life regretting it.

Derek Ferguson urged himself to make the most of his career as a Rangers rookie in 1983.

Now, 27 years on, he hopes the current crop of Ibrox kids do exactly the same.

Rangers' money worries now were similar back then as they counted the cost of rebuilding their stadium.

But for Ferguson and pals Ian Durrant and Robert Fleck it was a godsend, with the former midfielder convinced it can be again.

Fergie said: "I was given my first-team opportunity at a young age along with players like Durrant, Fleck, Hugh Burns and Dave MacFarlane.

"It was because the club had spent all its money at the time on stadium reconstruction.

"We played under-18s together and knew if we performed to the best of our ability we had a chance with the first team.

"The boys today have got to look at it that way.

"I watched the under-17s at Murray Park last week and even players at that age group, as well as the under-19s, must have that mindset.

"They will know there's not a lot of money around the club and Walter Smith will look at the youths and think this is a great opportunity for them.

"However, can the lads handle playing in front of 52,000?

"At Rangers you've got to win and win well but can they also handle all the criticism that might come their way?

"It's not just about being a good player but also showing you have the right character to cope with all the expectations.

"And by criticism I am not necessarily talking about from the media and supporters, but also from your fellow pros.

"I've seen a lot of young guys go under. At under-17 and under-19 level players aren't hung out to dry by their coaches because youngsters are more mollycoddled these days.

"But if you're in a dressing room and Walter Smith's giving you an absolute rollicking, you've got to be able to handle it. You've got to be man enough to take it, you can't spit the dummy.

"Walter will know best but this is a massive opportunity for the youngsters and if they don't grasp it now they never will. If they don't grasp it, they'll look back in future and rue the day.

"That's how it was for me and guys like Flecky and Durranty. We stepped into the first-team environment and were determined to make the most of it.

"I came from Hamilton and as a youngster I travelled every day with guys such as Davie Cooper and Nicky Walker and they were a big, big help.

"But we wanted to prove we weren't just as good as the more senior pros, but even better.

"We played without fear and had a hunger and desire."

Advertisement

Quantcast

Fergie, 42, hasn't lost any of either. He was back in action for Rangers yesterday as part of a Tennent's advertising campaign.

They organised an Old Firm kick-about in Glasgow's George Square and hundreds of people watched the former stars show off their skills.

Big Lorenzo Amoruso also turned up along with guys like Dave MacPherson, Andy Goram, Gary McSwegan and Pierre van Hooijdonk.

Amo might have lost a yard of pace but his love for Rangers is as strong as ever - with the ex-defender urging any player to jump at the chance of signing at Ibrox.

The Italian, now 39, said: "If you are ambitious - and you are not playing for Barcelona or Real Madrid - then Rangers are still a big attraction.

"Rangers is unique. I spent four days in Las Vegas during the summer at a Rangers supporters' convention and I met thousands of fans and it was so emotional.

"Even though I left Rangers in 2003 it felt like yesterday going by the welcome I got.

"In Vegas it felt like I hadn't left Rangers. As a club Rangers is massive."

Amoruso just hopes Smith is given a better send-off than the one the boss had when he quit Ibrox after his first spell.

He added: "The situation was slightly different 14 years ago.

"I only played four games in that season because of injury but I could see, subconsciously, that players relaxed too much.

"But the fact that happened before means Walter will know how to react this time.

"He also has the benefit this time that it's Ally McCoist who is taking over. It's not like things are stopping at the end of the season

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3084084/No-cash-That-is-your-cue-to-be-a-SMASH.html#ixzz0vm90LfHr

Boab is this title ok for you ?