Vladimir’s Signing Was Weiss Move :: Davis

Stu1993

Steven Davis today revealed he fully expected new boy Vladimir Weiss to make an explosive debut for Rangers – after being run ragged by the winger on international duty.

Manchester City loan star Weiss combined well with Davis to set up a goal within minutes of coming onto the field against Hibs at Easter Road on Sunday.

A great deal is expected of the hugely talented 20-year-old, who has joined the Scottish champions until the end of the season, by excited Gers fans.

And on the evidence of his brief but impressive performance in the capital at the weekend – when he came on with 25 minutes remaining – they are not to be disappointed.

Certainly, Davis, who squared up to the Slovakian prodigy during Northern Ireland’s qualifying campaign for the 2010 World Cup, is expecting great things from his new team-mate.

For Weiss helped his country to a 2-0 win over Davis’s side at Windsor Park two years ago in a defeat which effectively ended the home team’s hopes of reaching South Africa.

The then teenager was instrumental in his country’s opening goal that night in Belfast – after cheekily nutmegging Manchester United centre-half Jonny Evans.

Davis said: “I think it’s great that the manager has been able to bring in a couple of new players if you include James Beattie as well, but I have no doubt Vladimir Weiss will be a very good signing for Rangers.

“He played against Northern Ireland for Slovakia and he was one of the outstanding players on the night. He likes to take people on and if he can show the form he produced at Windsor Park consistently throughout the season I am sure he will great addition to our squad.”

He went on: “We don’t really have out and out wingers at the club right now and I think that is what Vladimir is. Hopefully, he can add a different dimension to our play.

”Vladimir is young, of course, but he has plenty of experience after having played for Slovakia in the World Cup this summer and I am sure he can handle life at Rangers.”

Davis, the SPFA Player of the Year last season, had a hand in Kenny Miller’s second and third goals in a significant victory for Walter Smith’s side in the capital.

But the 25-year-old was delighted to see Beattie, who joined Rangers in a £1.5million transfer from Stoke earlier this month, set up the first goal.

The former England, Everton and Southampton striker is struggling for fitness after joining his new club at the end of pre-season, but showed his intelligence at the weekend.

He said: “It’s always nice to see new players join the club. I think that the arrival of both James and Vladimir will definitely bring a freshness to our squad.

“It might take them a bit of time to find their feet and get to know how we like to play, but James is a bubbly character and he has been around for a while, he has had a few moves in his time and knows what it’s all about.

“He seems to be settling in very well and I was pleased to see him get involved in the goals against Hibs. I’m sure he will be a big player for us once his match fitness improves.

“Both players will bring a lot to the team. It’s certainly exciting for the fans to have them here.”

Davis’s personal display against Hibs was all the more remarkable given that he missed the opening game of the season with Kilmarnock the week before due to a virus.

The midfielder was forced to withdraw from Smith’s squad for the league opener after returning from a Northern Ireland international friendly with Montenegro in midweek.

His surprise no-show in the squad led to rumours that he would join Kris Boyd, DaMarcus Beasley, Nacho Novo, Stevie Smith, Kevin Thomson and Danny Wilson by heading out the Ibrox exit door.

However, the player revealed he was laid low the evening before the SPL match and was gutted to miss out on the unfurling of the league flag in front of 50,000 of his club’s supporters.

“It was definitely very frustrating,” he recalled. “I just came down with something at the worst time imaginable. I had been working hard throughout pre-season and was looking forward to playing in the first match of the season.”

Davis went on: “It would have been a special moment for me to play in the first game of the new campaign and witness the unfurling of the league flag. I was very disappointed to miss out.

“I had felt fine all week. I came back from Montenegro, where I had been playing with Northern Ireland, and there was no problem at all. Then on the Friday night I felt something.

“But, to be honest, not being involved in the Kilmarnock game just made me more determined to play and play well in the Hibs game and I was pleased that I managed to help the team get a victory.

“Hibs were playing their first game in front of their new stand and are a good team. It was a difficult match for us and we were pleased to get the result that we set out to get.

“We have enjoyed some good results against Hibs in the last couple of seasons, but they are difficult to beat and it was a good result for us.

“I was pleased to get 90 minutes under my belt. Hopefully now I can push on and help the team keep on winning.”

Article.