Connection Problem

Unit123

My house mates laptop is shown as being connected to the wireless network but when internet explorer is opened it says it cannot display the web page. Sounds like a virus to me but I wont have a USB stick to put anti-virus software on till tomorrow. Anyone know if its definitely a virus or what should really be done?

Cheers

My house mates laptop is shown as being connected to the wireless network but when internet explorer is opened it says it cannot display the web page. Sounds like a virus to me but I wont have a USB stick to put anti-virus software on till tomorrow. Anyone know if its definitely a virus or what should really be done?

Cheers

It's a virus, you wouldnt be able to open anti virus software anyway as it blocks it. Had it twice now, what your mate needs to do is restart the computer and log on as normal but as soon as he does bring up task manager and go to processes and look for a strange combination of numbers or letters. click end process and that should remove the virus for now. Then run the anti virus software when you get it. you need to do the task manager step every time you open it. You'll find a better explanation on Google, Good luck

It might not be a virus.

Can you log into the router or ping a website through dos?

press windows button + r, then type cmd and when the blackbox opens type ping www.bbc.co.uk and see what the results are. If it fails then it is possible the laptop isnt picking up an ip address correctly.

in the same box type ipcofig /all and look for the wireless adapter and put back in here what it says.

Have you also tried connecting the laptop to the router with an ethernet cable ad restarting the laptop and anyway why doesnt he have AV software installed?

Has he tried another Browser like Firefox/chrome or opera.

As J1mgg states try and ping another site and also check that the laptop has been assigned its own IP. Its easy to jump to the conclusion that its a virus but its probably more than likely a network issue.

With regards virus scanning, apart from why hasnt he got one. Make sure 'System Restore' is off if hes running vista and above. Create an emergency virus check disc with your current AV provider or insert AV disc into computer. Reboot, in Bios select boot from cd. Save and exit. When instructed press a key to boot from cd. This should start a full scan in whats called safe mode. Safe mode only only requires the very basic files which are needed to be loaded. In turn this would stop any rogue program from running and make it easier to detect and destroy the virus.

Silly question, i am sure i had a similar problem and someone from here gave me the advice of reseting my IE, i just can't remember how to do it.

That solved it straight away.

Update...put on the AV and found a few things but didnt solve the problem. Pinged another website and everything was fine as far as I could tell. Tried to use another web browser(safari, only other on the laptop) said cannot find server. Tried the ethernet cable as well. Any other idea's?

Change the password, most people forget to change it from the "out-the-box" password.

Also, make sure you actually GIVE it a password, your wireless should always be password encrypted.

Lastly, you could switch off the SSID, meaning even if someone does scan for your wireless signal, they won't find it.