Madron Football Club

Jamie1807

Madron FC's start to the season has been, to put it mildly, disappointing.

The Cornish village team has lost 11 games on the trot, conceded 227 goals (scoring just twice themselves) and has been on the end of a 55-0 thrashing.

The stand-in manager, Alan Davenport, admitted Madron FC are "probably the worst team in Britain" after their "embarrassing" string of results but - clearly keen not to lose the dressing room - praised his players for at least turning up.

The club near Penzance was delighted to be promoted from division two of the Mining League last season. But a mass exodus of players, followed by the manager's departure, left them struggling. Now the depleted squad, which is made up of people from a local pub and students, struggle to get 11 players out.

Asked to pose for a team photograph on Saturday, only eight of the 11 would do so – the others were too embarrassed to be associated with the club.

On Saturday they went down 22-0 to St Buryan. Only seven players and no recognised goalkeeper turned up for a game against Illogan RBL Reserves, which they lost 55-0.

Davenport, 68, said of that defeat: "It's a struggle when you only have seven players and no goalkeeper. One of the lads went in goal and did his best. I know everybody is probably laughing at us but we will battle on.

"We will definitely keep playing every week and fulfil our fixtures until the end of the season. We have no plans to stop. Some of the players aren't that brilliant so they are just happy to play. They can't get games with anyone else. Fair play to them for turning up really. It would be easy to just give in and let their heads drop but we'll fight on."

There is one bright side - they are not bottom of the league because another team had points deducted for not turning up to one of their matches.

Other teams are sympathetic, up to a point. The manager of Illogan, Mark Waters, said it was impossible to really enjoy a thrashing like the one it gave Madron. "We certainly didn't enjoy it. I have nothing but admiration for the seven Madron players, but it does make a mockery of the league."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i remember i started training with a team when i was like 12 or 13 and we started playing games and that told id get some game time and that but id be on the bench for a few weeks.first game we played they got fucked about 19-0 and i got on for the last two minutes i was a centre back/holding mid lol second game they got fucked horiffically again never even got on the pitch oh and the man of the match for those games was the keeper needless to say i chucked it no long after that