Bart of gold

Bart of gold

By GARETH LAW

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

A 19-YEAR-OLD Gary Pallister in the making showing an idiot what to do.

That's exactly how Kevin Blackwell describes Kyle Bartley holding back El Hadji Diouf in last week's Old Firm game.

The former Sheffield United boss wasn't surprised to see the on-loan Arsenal starlet's quick-thinking to try to cool down the Rangers bad boy.

Blackwell took Bartley to the Blades two seasons ago after seeing him star on his Gunners debut in the Champions League.

For someone who has reared stars like Aaron Lennon, James Milner and Scott Carson, Blackwell has an eye for young talent. That night in the hostile surroundings of Olympiakos' stadium was enough to convince him the Manchester-born ace would do for him.

Blackwell reckons the only way is up for Bartley.

He said: "Kyle was a young lad when we took him but he had terrific potential.

"I'd watched him for Arsenal reserves quite a few times and knew he was quick, decent in the air and tried to come out and play with the ball.

"Then he played in the Champions League in Greece. They lost 1-0 but Arsenal put out a very young side and he did well.

"That crystalised my mind and I just bided my time until we got him into Sheffield United.

"At the time William Gallas was injured so once he was back Arsene let me have him for the rest of the season.

"Arsene was happy as I had a good reputation for developing youngsters. There was Aaron Lennon, James Milner and Scott Carson at Leeds. I'd brought in Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton who were both sold on to Spurs.

"Kyle came into a club last year that at the time had 25 loans and 19 debuts.

"There were a lot of new faces but he arrived and settled brilliantly. His attitude really impressed me. He could have strutted about but he didn't.

"When he made his Football League debut the comment in our dressing room was he'd played more Champions League football than he had played in the Football League!

"His attitude told me I wouldn't have a problem with him. If I was on the training ground and wanted to do something he'd be more than happy to do it.

"He'd stay out, do extra heading and defending on one-on-ones. He reminded me a little bit of Gary Pallister.

"Pally was a big lad who looked a bit soft at times but always seemed to read the game and be there.

"I saw the Old Firm game last week and it was nice to see he got hold of Diouf at one point. There was a 19-year-old showing an idiot what he should be doing. That's what he had to do. He can more than stand his ground and he'll be the first one into a fight if he felt it was the right thing to do."

Blackwell recalls how Bartley made a costly blunder in a game against Cardiff - but his reaction backed up just how highly he rated the defender.

He said: "Kyle lacked some experience and wasn't used to playing in front of crowds of 25,000. He made one or two mistakes down at Cardiff and you could tell it hurt him.

"That said more about the kid, that he was that desperate to do well and he knew if he made a mistake it would hurt the club more than himself."

Advertisement

Bartley bagged his first ever senior goal against St Mirren. He faces his latest challenge as Gers head to Holland for their first leg last 16 clash in the Europa League tomorrow.

He'll head back to the Emirates at the end of the season and Blackwell, who has been keeping close tabs on his move to Ibrox, added: "I'm always keen to see how the youngsters I've brought through or worked with are getting on.

"His understanding of the game will be the critical thing for him as to how well he does in the future. That will come by playing games at a good level.

"If he can get that killer instinct as a centre-half who knows when to play, when to bully people and when to put the ball into Row Z more often than not he can go a long way.

"If he doesn't get a chance at Arsenal then I think his chance will be at other club but the way he's progressing now means other clubs would be interested.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3454584/Bart-of-gold.html#ixzz1G3fknySC

This nonsense is really getting up my nostril. Fair play praising Bartley, but they simply HAVE to start off the article by targeting Diouf yet again, while the teflon queens of Porkheid once again deflect any criticism. Enough to give you the dry boke. :angry: