Zidane

Messi is a level above Zidane. I understand why people may prefer watching Zidane, as he is probably more aesthetically pleasing, but Messi is easily more effective on the football pitch.

Do explain...

Messi scored 53 goals, and set up another 20+. How was Zidane more effective than that?

Was Zidane a striker? Or do you want to compare apples and oranges?

For example - is Messi 'better' than Franz Beckenbauer?

Was Zidane a striker? Or do you want to compare apples and oranges?

For example - is Messi 'better' than Franz Beckenbauer?

Well, yes, I think he is better.

I gave an example of what Messi contributes in a season, something which is greater than any other player.

What I said has nothing to do with what position Zidane plays.

Messi has yet to shine with argentina. Zidane scored two goals in a world cup final (tu)

Scored three goals in two world cup finals (tu)

Anyway, Zidane wasn't even capped until he was Messi's current age. Messi has plenty of time.

And let's face it, Messi would have dicked all over Brazil in the 98 final too, they were rotten :pipe:

Scored three goals in two world cup finals (tu)

Anyway, Zidane wasn't even capped until he was Messi's current age. Messi has plenty of time.

And let's face it, Messi would have dicked all over Brazil in the 98 final too, they were rotten :pipe:

Can't believe I had forgotten his goal against Italy doh

It's too early to say which one was the best anyway. Some are already saying Messi is better than Pele and Maradona...

It's too early to say which one was the best anyway. Some are already saying Messi is better than Pele and Maradona...

This is a comparison that can never really be conclusively decided upon. Because Messi, if for nothing else, is free to play without facing savagery.

What is certain is that neither Pele or Maradona had huge question marks over them regarding world-cup performances. And we haven't even mentioned the greatest star of them all: Cruyff.