4-3-3

TheLawMan

The SPL is shite and im fed up with this negative pish.

Is it any fukkin wonder that Jelavic is struggling a little when he is back in our own box for every fukkin corner and at one game recently for a long throw in. :anguish:

McGregor

Whittaker/McMillan

Bocanegra/Perry

Goian

Wallace/Papac

Naismith

Davis

Bedoya

Lafferty

Jelavic

Wylde

Let them worry about us ffs instead of this negative pish.

And when we are defending a corner, leave Jelavic, Wylde and Naisy all around the centre circle area to hold the ball up when we clear it or to hit on the break.

It drains the life out of me when i see 11 Rangers men in a box defending a corner against Saint fukkin Johnston who have scored 1 goal in 556 matches ffs.

Its easy to say, leave the money aside, but oh i wish we could go back to the attacking days of The Little General. :disappointment:

You dont need to spend £90 odd million like wee Dick to play attacking football, this squads most impressive and strongest style of play is attacking yet our managers/coaches refuse to allow them to play to their strengths, instead we worry about opponents, no matter how poor they are, and set out to stop them instead of the other way about. 4-3-3 would be nice, sadly it doesnt work like that at Rangers, Jelavic ends up isolated, our two wide men end up defending and on the back foot and it becomes a 4-5-1 every time.

You dont need to spend £90 odd million like wee Dick to play attacking football, this squads most impressive and strongest style of play is attacking yet our managers/coaches refuse to allow them to play to their strengths, instead we worry about opponents, no matter how poor they are, and set out to stop them instead of the other way about. 4-3-3 would be nice, sadly it doesnt work like that at Rangers, Jelavic ends up isolated, our two wide men end up defending and on the back foot and it becomes a 4-5-1 every time.

The only reason we end up on the back foot is because we allow it. In the SPL, Sellic apart, we should be on the front foot all the time. Think the first 15 minutes at Rugby Park. In fact, think the last 3 or 4 games of last season where we just said "fukk it" and went for it. We destroyed everybody.

I agree we dont need to spend £90m. I agree we actually have the players to play 4-3-3. I know for a fact that some players in our team are not happy at defending corners but the boss is the boss.

The only reason we end up on the back foot is because we allow it. In the SPL, Sellic apart, we should be on the front foot all the time. Think the first 15 minutes at Rugby Park. In fact, think the last 3 or 4 games of last season where we just said "fukk it" and went for it. We destroyed everybody.

I agree we dont need to spend £90m. I agree we actually have the players to play 4-3-3. I know for a fact that some players in our team are not happy at defending corners but the boss is the boss.

Exactly, we allow it to happen.

Thats how we should always play, to attack and that leads to goals, wins, entertainment and very happy fans.

The boss is out of his depth my friend.

End of last season showed it tbh, when we are aggressive in attack we maul the SPL clubs, Lafferty I fucking hate, the boy performs amazing when we are aggressive and attacking as the run in showed last year but as soon as we drop to a 4-4-2 and go through this whole profession curiousness to the other SPL clubs Laff is performance drops. People I know keep using the argument he is only good for the last few games, that's because the last two seasons we were pushing more, attacking more, sure I might be wrong and maybe he was just getting motivated by the end of the season but I feel its more due to the style of play.

Naismith for me would be great in the middle and is smart enough to play next to Davis so when one pushes forward the other sites as they have shown, the other midfielder I think might be McKay over Bedoya, might see Wylde/Bedoya was one of the three up front perhaps but need to see more of the American to work that out.

Perry and Goian have been the most consistent defenders for me in the CB roles, we shouldn't rock the boat our bow to the pressure to play someone other than Perry just because he is young or we bought some guy in.

Far too many are brainwashed with the 4-4-2 in Scotland, first bad performance and McCoist would buckle and revert back to that rigid 4-4-2 we play.

4-5-1 is the formation they go back to when they get desperate and panic. The pathetic 1 up front, long ball stuff.

4-5-1 is the formation they go back to when they get desperate and panic. The pathetic 1 up front, long ball stuff.

Were talking about domestic games under McCoist, we play that rigid 4-4-2 or that 4-4-1-1 with Naismith just behind Jelavic. Until Lafferty just come back from injury.

Wouldn't be long til people would be screaming for.... You need to play 4-4-2, two men up top is best etc.... If we were playing 4-3-3.

Is it the fear factor ?

Is it the fear of getting beat and fans turning on the manager ?

Or have we just fallen into this trap due to our previous 2 long term managers both being Centre Halves and therefore immediately drawn to the defensive side of our game ?

I really hoped that a trio of McCoist, McDowall and Durrant (all forward thinking ex players) would buck the trend but its just same old same old.

Were talking about domestic games under McCoist, we play that rigid 4-4-2 or that 4-4-1-1 with Naismith just behind Jelavic. Until Lafferty just come back from injury.

Wouldn't be long til people would be screaming for.... You need to play 4-4-2, two men up top is best etc.... If we were playing 4-3-3.

That wasnt a 4-4-2, Jelavic was up himself with no help or service. You are being kind saying 4-4-1-1, it looked 4-5-1 to me. We have tried 4-3-3 but we end up with 5 in midfield every time.

A 4-3-3 can be two men up top though.

You have Lafferty and Jela through the middle with Wylde out wide providing the ammunition. You then have the option of Wylde folding into the middle if the play drags out right with LAfferty or Jela.

Let them worry about us ffs instead of this negative pish.

And when we are defending a corner, leave Jelavic, Wylde and Naisy all around the centre circle area to hold the ball up when we clear it or to hit on the break.

It drains the life out of me when i see 11 Rangers men in a box defending a corner against Saint fukkin Johnston who have scored 1 goal in 556 matches ffs.

Bang on the mark Weissman, if we leave 2 up they require 3 to pick them up, basics!

That wasnt a 4-4-2, Jelavic was up himself with no help or service. You are being kind saying 4-4-1-1, it looked 4-5-1 to me. We have tried 4-3-3 but we end up with 5 in midfield every time.

We end up reverting back cause it drilled into them, to plug the gaps and stand off. I doubt Ally and the rest of our coaching staff know any other way to set up, after been taught that way for the last X-Amount of years. Hence why the inability to change things.

Bang on the mark Weissman, if we leave 2 up they require 3 to pick them up, basics!

Even better than that. If we leave 3 up, they have 4 back. Their goalie and their corner taker makes it 6. Theyve now only got 5 in our box and we have 8.

We win the ball and we have 3 men who are going to stop the fukkin thing coming straight back into us again.

Its childs play stuff but come tomorrow, we will still have all 11 in the box and Jela blowing out his arse because he spends so much of his time in OUR OWN FUKKIN BOX :anguish:

We end up reverting back cause it drilled into them, to plug the gaps and stand off. I doubt Ally and the rest of our coaching staff know any other way to set up, after been taught that way for the last X-Amount of years. Hence why the inability to change things.

Exactly mate. New era and new ideas? More like, more of the same. (tu)

A 4-3-3 can be two men up top though.

You have Lafferty and Jela through the middle with Wylde out wide providing the ammunition. You then have the option of Wylde folding into the middle if the play drags out right with LAfferty or Jela.

That's a lop sided system that we see time after again, a 4-3-3 should have one vocal point like Jelavic to hold it up, with runners supporting from midfield, (we don't have that). Wylde would suffer in a 4-3-3 he's all about hugging the touch line. In a 4-3-3 you need to be mobile and link play, the two inside forwards partnering Jelavic should tuck in to let your attacking full backs overlap and support. It's all about movement.

Honestly with this group of players we have, I doubt we could pull off a attacking 4-3-3 system.

Exactly mate. New era and new ideas? More like, more of the same. (tu)

It's not just us but, the majority of the SPL have the same problem. Just one way of thinking. The only time I've seen a Manager recently actually start off slow domestically and change things and out-think the Oldfirm. Is Derek McInnes. Now I'm not saying he's the man to take us forward or anything like that.

But he's got a bright future.

It's not just us but, the majority of the SPL have the same problem. Just one way of thinking. The only time I've seen a Manager recently actually start off slow domestically and change things and out-think the Oldfirm. Is Derek McInnes. Now I'm not saying he's the man to take us forward or anything like that.

But he's got a bright future.

Danny Lennon with St Mirren too. Mixu was also a breath of fresh air with Killie.

Do you think Ally could have done a similar job to a McInnes or McCall?

He sure has. (tu)

Danny Lennon with St Mirren too. Mixu was also a breath of fresh air with Killie.

Do you think Ally could have done a similar job to a McInnes or McCall?

He sure has. (tu)

Obviously it's just my personal opinion and some will probably see this as a pot shot at McCoist. But I don't think he could have done as good a job at St.Johnstone as McInnes.

4-5-1 isn't a defensive formation. Sure it can be, but so can any formation. It can also be very attacking (ie a 4-2-3-1), and convert easily to a 4-3-3. You can even drop a DM deep to become another CB or Sweeper if need be and play something like a 1-4-4-1.

I like 4-5-1. I like the easy tactical versatility it offers compared to 4-4-2, which is a much more rigid formation.

Its defensive when we play it and big Jelavic doesnt like it one but, understandibly.

:)

4-5-1 isn't a defensive formation. Sure it can be, but so can any formation. It can also be very attacking (ie a 4-2-3-1), and convert easily to a 4-3-3. You can even drop a DM deep to become another CB or Sweeper if need be and play something like a 1-4-4-1.

I like 4-5-1. I like the easy tactical versatility it offers compared to 4-4-2, which is a much more rigid formation.

I agree with you, however, in recent times when we have played it, its been more like a 5-4-1 or a 6-3-1 than a 4-3-3

Irrespective of the system, what im asking here is that we attack and not sit back. (tu)

If he had movement, support and overlapping runners he'd like it. IMO it plays to his biggest strength which is back to goal linking up, then moving.

I agree though, we don't play a particularly attractive 4-5-1 formation, and when we play it the striker is usually left in isolation.

Part of that problem I always felt was the lack of pace Weir had dragging the defence deep. The defence and forward lines had 60-70yrds between them, and that is a lot of space for midfield! We were never particularly compact. Probably a big part of the reason we were outplayed in midfield a lot too.

But we dont Badger, well we do actually but it rarely gets used or utilised. :(

I would say that assessment is pretty accurate.

(tu)