What Is The Difference?

bluespirit

Not sure if this is stricly for Bears Den but I have the tin hat on. Just watching Espanyol v Athletic Bilbao on Sky and the commentator is creaming himself how you have to be a basque to play for Athletic and they wouldnt sign anybody else? What would all these PC people at uefa, fair, vatican, strathclyde polis, etc etc would say about that? Is that not some sort of racism/ discrimination? Same people hammer us for some dreamt up, non existing policy that never existed yet another fairly well known club from one of the top leagues in Europe not only gets away with it but openly flaunts it?! Rant over lads.

The club lost its ball to defend our signing policy. They should have told the rats who wanted to make a thing of it to go fuck themselves.

Instead of getting the rabid dogs off our case, the club's capitulation just gave them the taste of blood, and 20 years on they are all over our culture worse than ever before....even after all the statements, the signings, the Lennon jerseys hanging inside Ibrox, and the bannings.

The Basques would never have allowed the media to call into question how they handle their own culture. Neither do the RCs in this country.

The club lost its ball to defend our signing policy. They should have told the rats who wanted to make a thing of it to go fuck themselves.

Instead of getting the rabid dogs off our case, the club's capitulation just gave them the taste of blood, and 20 years on they are all over our culture worse than ever before....even after all the statements, the signings, the Lennon jerseys hanging inside Ibrox, and the bannings.

The Basques would never have allowed the media to call into question how they handle their own culture. Neither do the RCs in this country.

Sadly you are right mate. No balls

:clap::praise:

What a post.

Excellent post - well said sir. :clap:

It's a strange one. They maybe get away with it because they don't discriminate against one nationality. They discriminate against all nationalities. Also football players aren't employed in the same way as most other employed people. There is no interview and selection process. The club decide which players they go for the same as every other club in the world.

It would be similar to us saying we would only sign players from the Strathclyde area. I don't think anybody could take us to task over that. They would try no doubt but I don't see how they would succeed.

It's a strange one. They maybe get away with it because they don't discriminate against one nationality. They discriminate against all nationalities. Also football players aren't employed in the same way as most other employed people. There is no interview and selection process. The club decide which players they go for the same as every other club in the world.

It would be similar to us saying we would only sign players from the Strathclyde area. I don't think anybody could take us to task over that. They would try no doubt but I don't see how they would succeed.

I know what you are saying mate, but employement rules must still apply. Just look at the Bosman case and you can have as many EU players etc. By the way I like your way of thinking about discriminating against everybody being acceptable. Thats me sorted then because I hate every cunt the same!

:happy:

I'm sure they can sign French Basques, so it's not all nationalities.

The crux of the issue is that they choose who to sign. It's not like players are competing for a vacancy at a club like they would in the real world. If they were challenged about it they could just say the didn't like the look of other available players or that they wouldn't fit their style of play or some similar pish.

The crux of the issue is that they choose who to sign. It's not like players are competing for a vacancy at a club like they would in the real world. If they were challenged about it they could just say the didn't like the look of other available players or that they wouldn't fit their style of play or some similar pish.

I wonder why Rangers didn't do that.

Bilbao's policy is to recruit local players in order to "help their community". They've never discriminated against another nationality or race...because they've never denied someone an opportunity, therefore their policy cannot be legally challenged IMO.

They are heavily criticised in Spain over their policy, but they are a defiant club and have refused to cave. Although recently, they've slightly relaxed their policy and will now sign players that have been trained at Basque clubs or players whose parents were from the Basque region etc.

Edit - sorry, reason I quoted you was because I agree with you. I forgot to add +1 at start of my post.

Bilbao's policy is to recruit local players in order to "help their community". They've never discriminated against another nationality or race...because they've never denied someone an opportunity, therefore their policy cannot be legally challenged IMO.

They are heavily criticised in Spain over their policy, but they are a defiant club and have refused to cave. Although recently, they've slightly relaxed their policy and will now sign players that have been trained at Basque clubs or players whose parents were from the Basque region etc.

Edit - sorry, reason I quoted you was because I agree with you. I forgot to add +1 at start of my post.

You summed it up far better than I ever could (tu)

The main thing is no one individual is discriminated against on the basis of their race, religion, colour etc.

It's strange how football had to succumb to one element of employment law i.e. the Bosman Ruling, yet other elements can be ignored e.g.interviews are never held for playing positions (unless you count trials?). Every employee on the playing staff is head-hunted basically.

+1 to yourself mate.

Not sure if this is stricly for Bears Den but I have the tin hat on. Just watching Espanyol v Athletic Bilbao on Sky and the commentator is creaming himself how you have to be a basque to play for Athletic and they wouldnt sign anybody else? What would all these PC people at uefa, fair, vatican, strathclyde polis, etc etc would say about that? Is that not some sort of racism/ discrimination? Same people hammer us for some dreamt up, non existing policy that never existed yet another fairly well known club from one of the top leagues in Europe not only gets away with it but openly flaunts it?! Rant over lads.

In what way have we been 'hammered' over our alleged signing policy?

Do you mean criticised?