Le Tour de France.

Stage 17 - High Mountains - Bagneres-de-Luchon~Peyragudes

Today is the final mountain stage of this yeat's tour, and with that, the final opportunity for anyone to take the yellow jersey away from Team Sky's Bradley Wiggins. Yesterday saw that he is still riding strong, so it will take both big balls and powerful legs to mount a successful attack today. The weather will be far cooler than yesterday, 23°C, with cloud and the chance of some showers along the route, so that may make a difference.

The stage is only 143.5km long, but with an early Cat 1 climb making for an ideal breakaway chance, the identity of the riders who go for it then will determine the way the race is run. Expect to see the usual suspects(Casar, L.L. Sanchez, Valverde) getting out early with Voeckler and Kessiakoff also battling for the polka-dot, KOM jersey. If the Stage 16 winning Frenchman doesn't have the legs, his team may kill themselves early to take the available points in order to thwart the Swede.

If someone lower down in the top 10(Rolland, Zubeldia or Brajkovic) goes for a long one, various teams will attempt to chase it down to guard their own positions in the GC. This would allow Sky to take a bit of a back seat. If Nibali, Van den Broecke or Van Garderen go for it, and they need to if they have aspirations of yellow, things may well get exciting with the final 30km featuring a hors categorie and another Cat.1 to the summit finish.

I'm going for a Sky victory today.....but I'm unsure if it will be Wiggins wanting to win a road stage in yellow or Wiggins letting Froome off the leash to say thanks for his hard work and loyalty. Either way, Wiggo will still be wearing the Maillot Jaune all the way to Paris.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D What's he done?

Loose cannon cheat.

Once got a year long suspension for doping, UCI appealed the decision as they thought it was too lenient, he said don't bother, I'm retiring anyway and then came back after the suspension was up.

Loose cannon cheat.

Once got a year long suspension for doping, UCI appealed the decision as they thought it was too lenient, he said don't bother, I'm retiring anyway and then came back after the suspension was up.

(tu) I thought that he had done something outrageous on this stage! :D

Well he offered no help to Kessiakoff, he always rides for himself, doesn't give a shit about teamwork or team orders. He ended up being dropped from the leaders this time anyway.

Agreed.

Sentiment aside, I can't see any reason why Astana would even have wanted him on the team. He's finished.

Rogers pops, first time in the Tour that another team's pace setting has managed to get rid one of Wiggo's mountain helpers. Only taken them till Stage 17 :lol:

That's normal, Rogers is a set-up man, always the one to drop first, then it's usually Porte with Froome and Wiggins the only ones remaining at the end.