Le Tour de France.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannot wait to to see this tonight,no train out,loss of weight etc..Cav is on another level!

Just finishing work now and will be doing the exact same.

"@itvcycling: Cav on Stage 2 win: "It proves why I have this jersey, it proves why I'm world champion." #tdf"

Who can argue with that? :D

Is cycling not pretty boring to watch? Can't say I've ever bothered with it.

If its on tonight, what channel?

I can see why people think that, but once you get into it,understand the tactics,who the riders are etc it becomes exciting. If you go on you tube and type in tour de france highlights lance armstrong you will see alot of great action in the mountains(before anyone says it,i know there are alot more exciting riders/races etc. but lance is a good starting point for the casual viewer. Sadly with the flat stages they dont get going until the last 25-30km so i can see how people dont get into it.

Cav's win tonight for example was amazing imo.

Stage 3 - Intermediate - Orchies~Boulogne

Le Tour enters France for the first time with a 200 km course of two halves. The first part is nice and flat, the second contains five climbs, two of them 3rd category, plus yet another uphill finish.

The sprinters may struggle to challenge here, except the God-like Cavendish, :praise: so we should once again see Sagan, Boasson Hagen, Pettachi and Cancellara all up there again. I'm going for Philippe Gilbert to triumph after coming close on stage 1. Those looking to the General Classification will need to be vigilant that none of their rivals steals a march on them, even at this early stage.

These cyclists are racing up mountains, over 150 miles a day, for more or less 3 weeks straight and for not a lot of money compared to other sports. Footballers earn ridiculous amounts of money for kicking a piece of leather about for 90 minutes and they complain about playing 2/3 games in a week.

Not to mention the injuries that cyclists sustain but they get up and get back on the bike. One rider has a broken hand and is carrying on, they carry on with broken collarbones and limbs hanging off. On the other hand footballers are rolling around the ground getting treatment for a kick on the toe.

These cyclists are racing up mountains, over 150 miles a day, for more or less 3 weeks straight and for not a lot of money compared to other sports. Footballers earn ridiculous amounts of money for kicking a piece of leather about for 90 minutes and they complain about playing 2/3 games in a week.

Not to mention the injuries that cyclists sustain but they get up and get back on the bike. One rider has a broken hand and is carrying on, they carry on with broken collarbones and limbs hanging off. On the other hand footballers are rolling around the ground getting treatment for a kick on the toe.

TdF winner gets 450,000 Euro, to be shared with his team mates. Wimbledon winner gets £1m+.

Them's the breaks.

I think that was a compliment. :D

I don't know that much about it anyway.

It was. (tu)

I've never watched it before apart from some highlights of the sprint finishes, pretty impressive. Do any of the riders who take part in this also do track cycling?

Another day another incident from sky!not good.Hopefully thats their back luck done for this year!I enjoyed seeing basso lead the pelaton to chase down the breakaway,great rider!I also hoped chavenel would stay away.Banck on the flat for cav tomorrow!

It was. (tu)

I've never watched it before apart from some highlights of the sprint finishes, pretty impressive. Do any of the riders who take part in this also do track cycling?

Most of the british riders have competed in track racing,Its quite hard to mix the two within a season though

It was. (tu)

Geraint Thomas is missing this to ride in the Olympic track cycling. I don't know of any others off-hand. As mingledtrout says, many of the British riders started off on the track. The same is true of a few of the Aussies.

Team Sky's Kosta Siutsou crashes and has to retire from the race. The loss of the mountain domestique will be a big blow for Wiggins in the coming weeks.

Not great news! Confident they have enough cover though.

Just seen yesterdays stage. What a fantastic finish from Cavendish. Came from nowhere!

Yet to see todays stage. Another good victory for Sagan though. Look forward to next years tour already with no Olympics to think about!

Stage 4 - Intermediate - Abbeville~Rouen

After the carnage of yesterday's stage saw the first two riders abandon the race due to injury, the peloton will be hoping for a quieter time of it in today's 214 km route down the North-West coast. With four 4th category climbs to be negotiated along the way, there may be yet another breakaway which includes Michael Morkov, the KotM leader! There is also an intermediate sprint which will act as a warm-up for the finish.

Barring accidents, this should be a shoot-out between the main sprinters with Mark Cavendish looking to claw back some points from Peter Sagan in the battle for the points jersey. Andre Greipel will be planning to go one better than in Stage 2, Matt Goss will be hoping his bruised and battered team can lead him out to a stage victory and Marcel Kittel could challenge - if he's over his dose of the trots! :D Greipel for me.

Hopefully there will be no major injuries in the spills which are likely to occur along the way.