William McBeath the Artist.

TheMoonlighter

It’s been well documented that Tom Vallance was an accomplished artist who had paintings accepted by the Royal Scottish Academy. We recently published an appeal to try and locate Tom’s Paintings , this is an avenue that we’ll continue to explore.

We celebrated Tom’s life just recently and had his portrait placed at the top of the Marble Staircase within Ibrox Stadium.

You can only imagine our surprise and delight when recent research has shown that Founder William McBeath also enjoyed dabbling with paint and canvas !

This first caught our eye when a report, in The Scottish Athletic Journal in 1884, when William was presented with a gold badge by his fellow Founders stated :

” Mr. McBeath , many of his old friends will be happy to learn, is doing well, and still cultivating these tastes for high art which made his company so pleasant to the more scholary of his companions”

350tlq8.jpg

This prompted us to dig deeper into William’s life and has led us to these articles from 1881 & 1886 when he was living at Ashley Road in Bristol.

It would appear that our Founders, weren’t slow in using their variety of skills in other artistic areas.

rb9njt.jpg

The Cornishman 1881

35auiif.jpg

The Bristol Mercury 1886.

You chaps do an amazing job with this.

I was on the tour on Saturday and my brain is still recovering from the sheer weight of fact we were given

I thought I had a good understanding of our club and its history.

Well now I feel I have learned a good bit more.

Keep up the great work :praise:

You chaps do an amazing job with this.

I was on the tour on Saturday and my brain is still recovering from the sheer weight of fact we were given

I thought I had a good understanding of our club and its history.

Well now I feel I have learned a good bit more.

Keep up the great work :praise:

Thanks for your kind comments, we're delighted that you enjoyed your day.

As i said during the Tour there is a lot to take in but the locations and articles that we refer to are listed here on our website for your enjoyment.

http://www.thegallantpioneers.co.uk/index.html

Am I reading this right?

200yds in 55secs?

That's pretty slow.

Edit: Just realised it a qtr mile.

55 secs for a quarter mile? < 4 mins for a mile? wait a minute :-)

Edit: Sorry before I was sidetracked by Mr. McBeath's athletic achievemenbts...

Terrific info Moonlighter.. When I come back over on my holidays.. will definitely take the tour. Sounds out of this world! 00000042.gif

Am I reading this right?

200yds in 55secs?

That's pretty slow.

Edit: Just realised it a qtr mile.

1/4 mile = 440yards - (which is not so bad, ave 12.5seconds per 100yards). - and if they could keep it up, it is on target to break mr bannisters 4m mile.

(Edit - I didn't see the other posts refering to the 4m mile - perhaps I was jumping the gun, a bit :D ).