Walter, McColl, Keith Jackson - This is What We Are Up Against

Non_Sucumbi

Daily Rebel Headline, story by K. Jackson;

Walter Smith opens his heart on decision to leave Rangers & backs Jim McColl to restore integrity to Ibrox club

The whole story is basically a reprint of Walter's statement and contains NOT ONE SINGLE QUOTE where Walter actually backs McColl.

Person Walter does back is Mather so why not replace McColl with Mather in the headline.

I guess Keith Jackson is in bed with Mini, the RST and the Barren Knights.

Here is the article if anyone is interested;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALTER SMITH took the “heartbreaking” decision to quit as Rangers chairman yesterday – then threw his weight behind Jim McColl’s bid to wipe out the broken Ibrox board.

Record Sport revealed yesterday that Nine in a Row legend Smith was on the brink of quitting in protest at Charles Green’s return as a consultant – an appointment the former manager refused to endorse.

The 65-year-old officially washed his hands of the bitter infighting yesterday morning, with an announcement made to the stock exchange confirming his departure at around 4pm.

Then, late last night, Smith released a statement explaining why he felt he had no option but to go – and why McColl’s plan to rescue Rangers from Green and his allies MUST be voted through.

The Scots billionaire is spearheading a shareholders revolt against the current regime and has signed a requisition for an EGM.

McColl wants finance director Brian Stockbridge, chief executive Craig Mather and non-executive director Bryan Smart removed from their positions immediately with former Blue Knights leader Paul Murray and highly respected Glasgow businessman Frank Blin brought in to stabilise the war-torn club.

Smith was left isolated and powerless to prevent Green’s comeback because of a lack of support from fellow directors. And now he has moved to endorse McColl’s attempts to force a clear-out.

n his carefully worded statement, Smith said: “It is with the greatest of regret I have to announce to Rangers supporters I have decided to step down as chairman. It is, I am convinced, the correct thing to do under the circumstances.

“Unfortunately, recent events have led me to the conclusion that the only option left open is for me to submit my resignation and to leave the board of directors with immediate effect.

“Working with a board which could rarely find consensus and agreement has created a highly-dysfunctional environment which has not been good for the club. On top of that, there has been recent disruption which again has rendered the board less effective and efficient than it ought to have been.

“It is clear that boardroom change is required and I would urge Rangers fans to get fully behind the resolutions which last week were presented to the board and shareholders.

“Also, I would like to remind the directors that when a general meeting was requisitioned earlier in the year I, as chairman, was urged by everyone on the board to do everything in my power to avoid such a meeting. At that time, I worked very hard to achieve that and now I am urging the directors to do exactly the same this time and if that means boardroom changes so be it.

“I’m imploring everyone to back these proposed changes so much-needed stability and a level of integrity can be restored to the boardroom.”

Smith, though, in his parting shot, also threw a lifeline to Mather whom he believes deserves the chance to dodge any coming cull. And he insisted manager Ally McCoist must be given the chance to prove his credentials in the dugout.

He said: “So far as the chief executive and manager are concerned, let me say this: Craig Mather, as I have said before is doing a good job.

“It is unfortunate that this has happened but when change does come I hope he’ll be allowed to continue the job he has started.

“As for Alistair McCoist, it is important we all appreciate no other Rangers manager has had to work with poorer or more trying circumstances.

“It is my fervent hope that when the dust settles and Rangers have a clearer path and future he is given the chance to manage under conditions similar to those afforded to his predecessors.”

Smith signed off by thanking the Rangers support for its backing – and admitting the fans have been let down by the current leaders.

He said: “They have suffered agonies and tortures over the last two years but can be proud of their contribution. They did not waver in their support of their club and as far as I am concerned they have been the one outstanding feature of this club.

“Indeed, they are a reminder to those in the boardroom that directors have the massive and ultimate responsibility of serving, protecting and nourishing this Club for the benefit of the fans and not an individual or any associates.

“Rangers fans are a credit to their club and they really do deserve so much better. As a manager I had to make many difficult decisions but none was tougher than the one I have just made. Stepping away from this club is heart breaking but I will always be grateful for the support Rangers fans have given me.

“I will never forget and more than anything else I wish them the club they truly deserve.”