Update Re: Alleged Banned Songs

Just thought I would give you all a wee update. Just spent 20 minutes on the phone with the QC. He is of the opinion, that from the pub’s point of view, that we are not breaking any laws with the songs that we play (he has been in the pub before the game and knows where we draw the line). Anyone that is in The Louden would not be offended by the songs that we play.

I told him what I intend to do with regards to clarifying our position with the proper licensing requirements. He is in total agreement with me that this is the appropriate route to take.

While I was on the phone I asked him about songs like Father’s Advice being sung in the stadium and on the street. He is of the opinion that if the Rangers Support banded together and sought a QC who deals with criminal matters’ advice to confirm that in his opinion, specific songs are not illegal or would not cause offence to a normal person then while it would not necessarily stop you being arrested, it would give you a great defence in court. He believes the charges would be dismissed. He also stated that if fans are arrested and asked why they are singing a song like Father’s Advice, if the supporter tells the officer that he is singing to commemorate those who fought for our freedom in the First World War then no offence has been committed (Though the add-ons may complicate matters).

My take on it is that we should celebrate our culture and ignore theirs – Sing the songs proudly but leave out the add-ons.

I will keep you up to date as we progress – I don’t do walking away :).

Thanks

Follow Follow us on Twitter: @TheLoudenTavern

One Rangers… No Factions – www.thelouden.co.uk

We Are The People

God Bless The Rangers

The Louden Tavern: Ibrox Stadium - More than a Pub

Official Partner of The Rangers Football Club

*We are responsible for The Louden Tavern: Ibrox Stadium, 111 Copland Road, Ibrox, G51 2SL solely and are not involved in the operation of any other premises

I think the real message here is singing songs that are pro, loyalist, unionist, Protestant but steering away from the anti stuff like FTP etc.

This is the way forward. We can celebrate (and defend) our culture and heritage and stay on the right side of the law.

It brings up an old topic - the BB. I would love to be able to sing that song at Ibrox again but some fans will insist on singing the dodgy(banned) line in it. If everyone could follow the lead from the Louden we could be singing the Billy Boys before you know it.

Sadly, I have my doubts.

This is a Job for Donald Findlay QC.

He did the Famine Song appeal case and he knows Rangers and the traditions well.

I am sure many folks would have a whip round or even use the RFFF to fund him representing a bear in a trial or an appeal.

I think we need to have a chat with him.

He did the Famine Song appeal case and he knows Rangers and the traditions well.

I am sure many folks would have a whip round or even use the RFFF to fund him representing a bear in a trial or an appeal.

Another option is that we get what is known as his Opinion on the matter, that is he researches the arguments and gives us a written opinion on defences and so on.

Are you a lawyer? buy him a new pipe and have a wee word with eh? :pipe:

After he was screwed over by some eejit and his mobile if I was DF I would stay well away

After he was screwed over by some eejit and his mobile if I was DF I would stay well away

Well he did do the Famine Song appeal and he is not usually in the appeal courts. He did it cause of his interests.

He is a lawyer who believes in doing his job to the best of his abilities and if someone chatted to him about this he may surprise us and try and help.

Certainly this law does provoke a fair amount of discussion among lawyers.