Carlos Bocanegra

Gaz52

2 hours ago, MasterD said:

He still had a year left, Goian was the same and Goian's agent admitted we paid him the full year of his contract so we will have done the same with Bocanegra.

We pay-off more players than we sell :power_of_anguish:

Just read BackwardsMan link to the rebel. First time I've read this, could be we did pay him off. But reading what he said in the article I don't think he would be hard to deal with. He wanted to keep his place in USA team, we all know how patriotic the yanks can be. I wish some in this country could learn from them.

2 hours ago, BackwardsMan said:

That was a good read mate. Brings it back just what the clubs been through.

That stadium with the hedge and witnessing the size of Kevin Kyle as he ran out at Ibrox are memories I can laugh about now, but the anger I felt at the time was unreal. 

I'd forgotten Bocanegra hadn't been with us long. He must have been gutted. Still says a lot of great things about us in that article. The mark of a good man.

Suppose there's been lots of casualties along the way. I mean that mostly with the young boys who were no where near ready for the responsibility of playing for Rangers.

I exclude the likes of Naismith and Whittaker though as they and others were a disgrace. Lee Wallace is one who deserves to be recognised as a club legend though for giving up a large chunk of his career. 

Hope the club keeps in touch with Bocanegra as he would be a useful contact for us in his role at Atlanta Utd. Europe is still the place to be for footballers, so he might put in a good word to the next Claudio Reyna.

Or better still, encourage that Billionaire owner to invest in a proper club :)

I can't see the logic.

If you "need someone off the wage bill" ...to pay them their FULL years wage, and then have to pay someone else to do the job ... it makes no financial / business / common sense at all. Can't be true.

16 hours ago, William McBeath said:

Nah does sound nuts. He gets paid up full then paid again at a new club then we need to pay someone else. More likely we gave him a couple of months pay.

"He said: "I never had to travel to Scotland to resolve it. Everything was done by phone and fax.

"The Scots have sent money for the last year of Dorin's contract - it was his salary, which was 500,000 Euros."

Goian's agent confirmed we paid him off in full. What reason would there be for him to lie? CB will have got the same, whoever was dealing with paying them off wasn't giving a toss.

1 hour ago, MasterD said:

"He said: "I never had to travel to Scotland to resolve it. Everything was done by phone and fax.

"The Scots have sent money for the last year of Dorin's contract - it was his salary, which was 500,000 Euros."

Goian's agent confirmed we paid him off in full. What reason would there be for him to lie? CB will have got the same, whoever was dealing with paying them off wasn't giving a toss.

I stand corrected :541:

I was just guessing because it sounds like a dumb thing to do. We ended up with Ross Perry and Cabiri (or whatever he was called) at the back when we could have been pretty solid. Charles Green and Co after the share sale right enough, wankers spent a fortune in 18 months.