Intresting proposal....

Bazza

SPL concerned by UEFA proposal

Champions League logo

The Scottish Premier League will oppose tentative plans to allow cup winners into the Champions League at the expense of league-qualified teams.

The idea is under consideration by UEFA, whose new president Michel Platini is giving thought to ways of making the elite club competition more attractive and competitive.

However UEFA have already stated that a makeover will not go ahead without support from clubs, leagues and national associations.

The SPL's stance is firm, with the league determined to protect Scotland's current system whereby the two leading teams go into the Champions League. UEFA Cup places are currently allocated to the third-placed team and the Scottish Cup winners.

SPL chairman Lex Gold told the Daily Mail: "One of the proposals on the table from Platini's people is for cup holders to play off against each other for Champions League entry. That would be at the expense of our second place, which currently goes to the runners-up in the SPL.

"I was told we would have an automatic place in the group stages for our champions but, while handing us one thing, UEFA are looking at taking something else away.

"We would oppose vehemently any move to push Scottish Cup holders into the Champions League. We would not want to see that happen at the expense of the SPL runners-up and are making representations."

Obviously its terrible news for the tims for the forthcomming years, but, although I never see this getting off the ground, what effect do you think it would have on not just Rangers, but the Old firm strangle hold on the domestic scene?

Not nessicarily. When we win the league and Ceptic come second without winning any silverware then they will go to UEFA cup and Gretna(when they win the cup) will end up in the CL <cr>

Crazy I know, but possible which would mean a higher standard in the UEFA Cup surley. :unsure:

absolutely ridiculous idea that will ruin our coefficient if it ever happens. Can you see gretna in the champions league even if only the qualifiers? It would be embarassing they would get hammered.

absolutely ridiculous idea that will ruin our coefficient if it ever happens. Can you see gretna in the champions league even if only the qualifiers? It would be embarassing they would get hammered.

Ridiculous ideas are what they do best. :D

Maybe they should restrict the entry to the UEFA Cup to cup winners only. Then they could rename it the Cup-Winners Cup and ..........oops.

I suppose that's been done already.:lol:

...and we don't want the mhanks winning that one.:lol:

I would like to see SPL champs and poss runner up get automatic entry, italian/spanish/english down to 2 automatic and 1 qualifier aswell. this would also make the UEFA Cup a bit more lucrative

I would like to see SPL champs and poss runner up get automatic entry, italian/spanish/english down to 2 automatic and 1 qualifier aswell. this would also make the UEFA Cup a bit more lucrative

I think Platini's aim is to distibute the wealth a bit further round some of the smaller clubs and nations so allowing every country an automatic entry and limiting every league to the same number of teams entering would be a good step forward imo.

it makes sense, while there are clubs competing in the club who are not champions, there are some leagues, like ours, missing out and most countries having 4 teams in the tournament. not only would it make it fair, like you said money would be distributed and well there is no need for that many

Unfortunatley for long enough too many of the "big boys" have had too much say. The noises comming from Platini are encouraging but we'll have to see if he has the courage to see it through.

It's a joke that Gretna and now Dunfirmline are representing Scotland if you ask me. Not sure it will make any different to the co-efficient though as the 'better' non-Old Firm teams have contributed next to nothing in any case.

Rewarding Cup winners with a CL place is outragous.

The teams who perform best over 38 games are deservid of a place, not winning the odd Cup game.

They talked about the 2 Cup winners playing off against each other for the place, so presumably it would be given to the losers of that match :unsure:

So what would happen when we inevitably win the treble???????

They talked about the 2 Cup winners playing off against each other for the place, so presumably it would be given to the losers of that match :unsure:

We'd play our under 19's. :pipegreen:

We'd play our under 19's. :pipegreen:

Shit that would be us out. <cr>