Ronaldo faces doping probe

bluenose_72

Ronaldo’s injury saga has taken another twist after allegations from the Italian National Olympic Committee President that his treatment is a form of doping.

Milan's Brazilian hitman has been injured since July 31 and has become increasingly frustrated as his recovery date has been repeatedly pushed back.

What was initially expected to be a routine thigh strain has now been revealed to be a much more serious complaint.

Reportedly disillusioned with the efforts of Milan’s medical team, Il Fenomeno opted to travel to Brazil to consult his national side’s doctor Jose Luis Runco, much to the chagrin of the Diavolo.

Runco accused the Rossoneri of misdiagnosing Ronaldo’s condition and a new course of treatment was undertaken, but now Runco’s methods are under the spotlight.

The procedure allegedly involves injections of protein strands from healthy blood into damaged tissue to encourage growth of damaged tissue – a process that Luigi Frati believes is a form of doping.

"This kind of therapy is surely doping," he was quoted as saying when questioned by the Press yesterday.

Ronaldo is due to return to Milan within the next 48 hours, but the man in charge of anti-doping procedure in Italy Ettore Torri has suggested that there may be an inquiry into his treatment.

"I am waiting for news and there is no guarantee that we won't launch an investigation," Torri told Ansa on Monday evening.

its in italian papers today that he is going to be sold and milan are lining up kanoute, adriano and anelka as replacements.

MILAN, Italy (AP) -- The Italian Olympic Committee's anti-doping prosecutor has indicated he may open an investigation into a genetic therapy being used to treat the injured thigh of AC Milan forward Ronaldo.

"I'm waiting for news, and it's not been said that we won't open an inquiry," prosecutor Ettore Torri told the ANSA news agency Monday.

Ronaldo is being treated in Brazil under the supervision of national team physician Jose Luis Runco. The therapy, called growth factor, uses a natural protein to stimulate cell proliferation. The practice is banned in Italy.

"I'm waiting for some answers from the Italian soccer federation and I will also ask the Olympic committee's physicians for an opinion," Torri said.

Ronaldo was hurt July 31 during Milan's preseason training and hasn't played since.

Milan's physicians originally diagnosed Ronaldo's injury as a muscle strain and said he could return against Siena on Saturday. Further tests revealed a more serious tear that could keep him out another month.

"We made a mistake in our first evaluation," Milan medical coordinator Jean Pierre Meersseman was quoted as saying on the club's Web site Monday. "I'm in contact with Runco, who has explained to me what he intends to do."

This is shambolic.

its banned in italy but hes having it done in brazil...possible loophole?

personally I dont see anything wrong, its not steroids and if its repairing an injury with maximum effect then fine. There are so many legal treatments that are worse than sterorids etc its unbelievable.

I compare this to the treatment of any illness etc