I think we're missing Stevie Smith

ScotBear

Papac is basically our new Vidmar.

He's pretty much an identical player who is professional, puts in 100% effort, but is ultimately limited by his own ability.

I remain entirely opposed to our ditching of Ian Murray who was just a better LB than Papac.

Of course, Smith has the potential to be far better than both, but the date of his return is anyone's guess.

Nonsense. Papac is a better player in all departments. Are you still judging him on that one performance Danny?

I'm amazed by this reply!

He's pretty much an identical player who is professional, puts in 100% effort, but is ultimately limited by his own ability.

I remain entirely opposed to our ditching of Ian Murray who was just a better LB than Papac.

Of course, Smith has the potential to be far better than both, but the date of his return is anyone's guess.

Danny, why did you bring up Ian Murray? You have nearly got me started on a rant. Murray is the slowest player I have seen at Ibrox apart from Hagi who was about 50 when he stood around against us. Murray lacks pace, balance and the ability to look up. Look how Soti continually had to cover for him in games, especially in 2nd half of games when Murray was on his knees, even before his viral problem. He could have a 5 yard start on an opponent and after 10 yards be 3 yards behind. No, Murray was a liability at full back, in my opinion, an honest player who was basically not good enough.His departure only enhanced our defence both wide and centrally where the central defence can now concentrate on their job rather than salvaging a team mates shortcomings.

Enjoy that did you :)

Wow, thats better, you got my blood flowing there, thanks, Danny.

Glad to be of service Doc ;)

David Murphy would be ideal

No, no and no. Please not another Hibs "superstar" who is over-rated, over-priced, and wouldn't be able to make the step up. He'd cost at least £2.5million. Look at the majority of Hibs players who have moved to the Old Firm, they are gash. Look how Hibs play without them!

Time we showed some real ambition and started signing proper quality players instead of raiding the SPL.

Exactly Badger, the Scottish media raved about them far too much. There is a big difference between Rangers and Hibs. They are just not good enough.

Fulham got Aaron Hughes for £1million. Here is a guy who can play all along the back 4 and on the right of midfield, EPL and International experience. We paid £2million for Whittaker.

celtic paid £4.4million for Scott Brown while Fulham were signing Steven Davis(Aston Villa) for £4million.

We paid £2million for Kevin Thomson, that could of got us Danny Murphy, Simon Davies, Alexey Smertin, de Ridder, Geovanni, Mvuemba, Emerse Fae etc

You have to look out with the SPL.

Papac has been playing to the best of his abilities, it's just he's not that good a player. He had a good game in Lyon but was poor at the weekend just like all the players.

Exactly Badger, the Scottish media raved about them far too much. There is a big difference between Rangers and Hibs. They are just not good enough.

Fulham got Aaron Hughes for £1million. Here is a guy who can play all along the back 4 and on the right of midfield, EPL and International experience. We paid £2million for Whittaker.

celtic paid £4.4million for Scott Brown while Fulham were signing Steven Davis(Aston Villa) for £4million.

We paid £2million for Kevin Thomson, that could of got us Danny Murphy, Simon Davies, Alexey Smertin, de Ridder, Geovanni, Mvuemba, Emerse Fae etc

You have to look out with the SPL.

Totally agree with you Muff but the only thing is these guys would be wanting huge amounts of money in wages which we dont have and if they had the choice playing in the Premiership or playing in the SPL then a think it would be the Premiership everytime

Yeah good post, I also think having a quality LB would help out Beasley. Placente is exactly the type of LB we need. Just as good going forward as he is defending.

i hope stevie smith is back soon cause i thought he was a great player before his injury and not heard any news about him

Nonsense. Papac is a better player in all departments. Are you still judging him on that one performance Danny?

I'm amazed by this reply!

I don't see why you are so amazed as most rate Papac higher than Murray, including Walter Smith. Now try and answer my simple question...are you still judging Papac on one performance?

I've always been a traditionist when it comes to players positions.

Defenders defend, attackers should score.

I'm not a fan of wing back roles, I like defenders to stick tight and prevent goals. Papic does his job well.

In that a traditonalist, then does McCulloch annoy you as hes a 'different' left midfielder than from the traditional one?

Not trying to stir, just asking the question, interested

:rolleyes: not this again!

Anyway i'm with JA on this. Papac hasn't been bad at all this season, but some people still wont say that as they see him as a PLG signing and therefore a dud.

Sometiems it's better to have a more defence minded full back if the other one bombs on as much as Hutton does.

It was worth asking!

If I was trying to change the debate then I wouldn't have put in the second line (tu)

Papac = RFC's resident scapegoat.

IMO Papac has done a decent job at LB, nothing more or less. He is no Numan or Robertson but he is at least as effective as most of the previous other candidates (e.g Vidmar, Vignal, Vanoli, etc) in that awkward role.

IMO we do miss Steven Smith but, and it pains me to say this :( , but I reckon that he is finished and that an effort must be made to land a new LB for the long term.