Liverpool reveal they held talks with Klinsmann

Mad Dog

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks says he held talks with Jurgen Klinsmann in November about taking over as manager in case Rafael Benitez left the club.

Mixed performances and a row with Hicks and co-owner George Gillett on transfer policy put Benitez's position in doubt. "We attempted to negotiate an option as an insurance policy... if Rafa left for Real Madrid or other clubs rumoured, " Hicks told the Liverpool Echo.

He added: "Or in case our communication spiralled out of control."

Hicks was alluding to the criticism of Hicks and Gillett by Benitez over their transfer policy which angered the American duo and put the Spaniard's position in jeopardy.

606: DEBATE

Will Rafa Benitez survive this latest revelation?

Klinsmann's services have now been secured by Bayern Munich and he will take over the German club at the end of this season.

The confirmation of talks between Klinsmann and his bosses will come as a blow to Benitez, although Hicks said the negotiations took place in November when the club were in danger of going out of the Champions League at the group stages and suffering indifferent league form.

Liverpool needed a 4-1 win over Marseille in their final group game on 11 December to book their place in the knockout stages.

The American owners and Benitez had clear-the-air talks after the Premier League loss to Manchester United on 16 December and Hicks now insists the Reds manager has their full support.

"After George and I had our long and productive meeting with Rafa following the Manchester United match, we put all of our issues behind us and received Rafa's commitment that he wanted to stay with Liverpool," said Hicks.

"We never reached agreement on an option with Jurgen, and we are both pleased for him that he has a great opportunity to return to Germany and coach a great club team.

"Rafa has both of our support, and our communication has greatly improved."

But Liverpool's form has not improved and they are currently 12 points off the top of the Premier League table.

They were knocked out of the Carling Cup by Chelsea and have been taken to a replay by struggling Luton in the FA Cup third round.

If I was Rafa I'd tell them to stick the job where the sun doesn't shine. What the f*ck has Klinsmann done in management? If he didn't have Joachim Lowe as his assistant at Germany then they'd never of reached the semi's. Lowe took the training worked on the tactics/formation and literally picked the team.

I'd hate to have owners like Gillet and Hicks, they are clueless!

I don't think Rafa's up to the Premiership tbh.

His massive squad (60 odd players on the books) and constant rotation, plus draws against Boro and Luton aren't exactly what is needed to run a club properly.

Also, didn't take a genius to realise Torres would be a hit, he'd be a top player in any team in any league.

If Rafa told them to stick their job, they'd probably be quite relieved.

His massive squad (60 odd players on the books) and constant rotation, plus draws against Boro and Luton aren't exactly what is needed to run a club properly.

Also, didn't take a genius to realise Torres would be a hit, he'd be a top player in any team in any league.

My reason for telling them to stick their job is that I wouldn't let anybody treat me like a piece of shit on their shoe!

My reason for telling them to stick their job is that I wouldn't let anybody treat me like a piece of shit on their shoe!

It's out in the open now, if he doesn't tell them to stick it then it tells me more about him as a person.

He's got a good record and (at the mo) would stroll back into that Valencia job.

Previously Klinsmann has refused to move from America so unless he's gone back on that would be interesting to see how he intends to run a club from across the Atlantic.

well he's turned down the only job that would keep him in america. so he's going to have to go elsewhere if he wants to get back into coaching at a high level. i think that he's waiting for the right opportunity. this could be it.