We Lacked Clout....Les Ronn-jeurs

interesting article

Le Guen was impervious to the psyche of this most extraordinary football institution. You'd think after seven months in charge he might have learned not to call them Ronn-jeurs. I don't mean to descend into the realms of Francophobic sitcom - 'Allo, 'Allo, nous sommes zee Billy Boys - but the persistent mispronunciation seemed to symbolise his wilful bloody mindedness and arrogant rejection of what Rangers stands for. Not since John Barnes said that Celtic were a great club at which to start his management career has one man so woefully failed to get it.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/01/...ked_the_cl.html

pretty smart analysis...

"Le Guen may have been right to strip Barry Ferguson of the captaincy for insolence, insubordination or whatever but in politics the key is not just choosing your enemies but deciding when to go into battle. Tony Blair targeted the far left, David Cameron the old right and Le Guen? Wack wack oops. He chose a boy with irreducible Rangers DNA, an unappeasable will to win and every sinew straining for the cause while a team of fancypants foreign flops floundered around him. The affair merely brought the Frenchman's many other errors into sharp relief.

Guest Manticore

Interesting article but imo:

the persistent mispronunciation seemed to symbolise his wilful bloody mindedness and arrogant rejection of what Rangers stands for.

is a load of pish.

but the persistent mispronunciation seemed to symbolise his wilful bloody mindedness and arrogant rejection of what Rangers stands for

What a load of tosh, he didnt get it because he spoke in a french accent?

thats not what he was saying ...hes saying his mispronounciation 'symbolised' his misperceptions of the Club. I wouldn't have called it 'arrogant rejection' as the writer did but rather a misapprehension.

but the persistent mispronunciation seemed to symbolise his wilful bloody mindedness and arrogant rejection of what Rangers stands for

What a load of tosh, he didnt get it because he spoke in a french accent?

thats not what he was saying ...hes saying his mispronounciation 'symbolised' his misperceptions of the Club. I wouldn't have called it 'arrogant rejection' as the writer did but rather a misapprehension.

I think hes reading far too much into it in my opinion.

Many good points in that article, though I disagree with LeGuen being classed as arrogant - he always seems a true gent from what I saw and heard of him. Perhaps he would've turned things around given time, but I do agree that he seemed unable to get a grasp of the physicality of the Scottish game and his obstinance at adapting to it ultimately cost him results and his job.

As for Smith, I have to laugh at the Tartan Army supporters who are villifying him for leaving. Coming back to help the club he loves (one who, by the way, had no hesitation on proferring a bona fide contract to him) is somehow seen as high treason? Right, get over yourselves. These are the same loyal Scotland supporters who'd be crying for his head when the inevitable whitewashing from the France re-match comes through (sorry to say it, and may I gladly eat these words after the game is played, by I feel Scotland were VERY fortunate to win at Hampden and the likelihood of a positive result happening in France is remote).

Smith and McCoist have always been great representatives for our club, and reading some of the comments below Campbell's article truly made my blood boil - all the S.O.S about Rangers being a den of bigotry blah blah blah. Times have changed, yet too many troglodytic supporters (aye, on both sides of the OF) refuse to change with them and admit it.

Many good points in that article, though I disagree with LeGuen being classed as arrogant - he always seems a true gent from what I saw and heard of him. Perhaps he would've turned things around given time, but I do agree that he seemed unable to get a grasp of the physicality of the Scottish game and his obstinance at adapting to it ultimately cost him results and his job.

As for Smith, I have to laugh at the Tartan Army supporters who are villifying him for leaving. Coming back to help the club he loves (one who, by the way, had no hesitation on proferring a bona fide contract to him) is somehow seen as high treason? Right, get over yourselves. These are the same loyal Scotland supporters who'd be crying for his head when the inevitable whitewashing from the France re-match comes through (sorry to say it, and may I gladly eat these words after the game is played, by I feel Scotland were VERY fortunate to win at Hampden and the likelihood of a positive result happening in France is remote).

Smith and McCoist have always been great representatives for our club, and reading some of the comments below Campbell's article truly made my blood boil - all the S.O.S about Rangers being a den of bigotry blah blah blah. Times have changed, yet too many troglodytic supporters (aye, on both sides of the OF) refuse to change with them and admit it.

yes PLG was definitely not an arrogant type. It shows how difficult it can be to match manager type to Club

Guest RangersAndBalloch

Some good points intermingled with a load of pish.

Which Italian Catholics did Souness sign?

As for the 'Love them or loathe them ' quote, he's in the 'Loathe' camp.