A football newspaper for football

I have always admired the passion that us Scots have for the beautiful game. Our passion towards our team is second to none in Europe and in Glasgow we have one of, if not THE greatest football rivalries on the planet. Glasgow is the only city in Europe with three purpose built football stadiums with a capacity over 50,000, an amazing statistic for such a relatively small footballing nation. For a country with a population of 5 million we have won European Cup Winners Cups and qualified for World Cups and recently beaten so called greater footballing nations than us.

I have always wanted to be kept up to date with the daily goings on in Scottish football. Not just about Rangers but the whole of Scottish football. A serious newspaper stuffed full of information about Scottish football. In Italy we have the Corriere dello Sport, a daily newspaper dedicated to the goings on of every team in every division of Italian football. Mostly reporting on Serie A and then throughout the newspaper news on Serie B, C, C1 and so on and so forth, right down to the local team who play at the back of my house, Ca'di David, they all have their little bit of fame and all the 'tifosi' are kept up to date with the goings on at their clubs.

I have often asked myself why this has not happened in Scotland what with all the passion and fervour surrounding our game and then it slowly dawned on me why it has not happened. Its an obvious question to ask, who would be in the running for the reporters at a newspaper such as this ?

Would the newspaper blood new reporters and offer indepth unbiased analysis of the teams and games ? I think not, which is why I could never see this happening. Rangers have been on a hiding over the last two years from every corner of the press and TV. This gutter reporting would have to stop before I could imagine anything near the Corriere dello Sport being mirrored in the Scottish sporting press. It would, for me, if we were able to pull it off, enhance the whole game in Scotland if there was respect from the journalists never mind the backstabbing, low level, spin doctoring reporting we are used to. Its a little dream Ive always had, to open a newspaper and read unbiased honest reporting from all things such as a football game. There has been too much reporting on 'fans' and 'songs' and endless us and them scenarios from, well you know who. Its not about sides, let the fans deal with that, its about reporting.

For me the so called journalists, who sit behind their computers and in front of television cameras should be ashamed of themselves. The fire has been burning in the belly of our stadiums for over a century now and will continue to burn when they are long gone. I hope they realise, like I have, that they are not BIGGER than Scottish football, merely parasites eecking and scratching a living from it. Maybe one day eh ?? WATP.

a very good idea for a scottish football newspaper,

I was in a waiting room the other week and picked up a copy of "FourFourTwo", magazine. It was an old copy, from over a year ago, but i still enjoyed reading through some of the articles. Although it was mostly about current football that month, there was a lot of articles that really could have been published at any time of year, ie articles about people no longer in the game, classic goals, footballers personal life interviews, tactics, funnies, quizzes,... all sorts.

It was mainly focused on the English Premier League, but after reading this post it got me thinking if there would be a market for a Scottish Equivalent. Even if it was mainly scottish but also included stats/ figures from world football?

The only other thing i could think off like what you have mentioned is the free weekly pull outs that most papers do on a monday now - "supergoals" and the 10+ page middle sections on football only. Maybe this is the newspapers compromise?

There are newspapers that are mainly for sport but its only on the lower league clubs but i dont know why,its called "non-league" surprisingly,but i dont see why there isnt one,mainly for spl or epl purposes,i mean after all what does the majority of the fans support-mainly clubs from the top leagues

Sometimes when I read translations from Foreign Fotball coverage I am gobsmacked by the quality of the writing and the analysis.

Occasionally the UK heavyweights produce such quality (David Lacey in The Guardian for example), but rarely if ever about Scottish Football.

The question for me is, if we were to get similar about Scottish footie, who would write it?

Certainly not the brain dead morons who pass for 'sports journalists' in the Scottish Press.

Sometimes when I read translations from Foreign Fotball coverage I am gobsmacked by the quality of the writing and the analysis.

Occasionally the UK heavyweights produce such quality (David Lacey in The Guardian for example), but rarely if ever about Scottish Football.

The question for me is, if we were to get similar about Scottish footie, who would write it?

Certainly not the brain dead morons who pass for 'sports journalists' in the Scottish Press.

Peter Martin I've liked reading. Darryl King no bad.

D'Art has a nice way with words. I was an English lit major back in the day (ok way back..)

I vote D'Artagnan :rangers: