Ferguson

I just touched on this in the other Ferguson thread but.........

Would it be worthwhile to have Ferguson revert back to his natural position as a deeper lying playmaker?

I believe last night we only had about 38% of the possession throughout the game and that surely highlights that we are lacking an intelligent player who can simply put their foot on the ball, make sure we retain possession and make both simple and special things happen.

Secondly the role Ferguson is playing requires a lot of running. He is expected to get up in the support when possible and 20 seconds later track back when we don't have the ball. Am I alone in thinking all this running can't be good for his injury? Atleast if he's in a deeper role he can get away with being a little bit less mobile and in the process offer his injury some much needed protection.

I just feel that the team would benefit from Ferguson's intelligent play if he was in a deeper role and somebody like Davis, a player with a bit more drive, pace and general get go about him would be better suited to the attacking role that Ferguson is currently playing.

I just touched on this in the other Ferguson thread but.........

Would it be worthwhile to have Ferguson revert back to his natural position as a deeper lying playmaker?

I believe last night we only had about 38% of the possession throughout the game and that surely highlights that we are lacking an intelligent player who can simply put their foot on the ball, make sure we retain possession and make both simple and special things happen.

Secondly the role Ferguson is playing requires a lot of running. He is expected to get up in the support when possible and 20 seconds later track back when we don't have the ball. Am I alone in thinking all this running can't be good for his injury? Atleast if he's in a deeper role he can get away with being a little bit less mobile and in the process offer his injury some much needed protection.

I just feel that the team would benefit from Ferguson's intelligent play if he was in a deeper role and somebody like Davis, a player with a bit more drive, pace and general get go about him would be better suited to the attacking role that Ferguson is currently playing.

Have been saying this for most of the season, we shouldnt need the likes of Hemdani and Dailly, just play Ferguson is a deeeper role have Thomson and Davis infront of him.

The problem with that is Ferguson's lack of bite.

Maybe, but Hemdani's got as much bite as a toothless parana!

Im pretty sure that Ferguson would tackle more and at least go for a 50-50 ball.

Ferguson deep, Davis and Thommo next to him!

You're right DBBTB. (tu)

For me, Ferguson has all too often disappeared in games this season (last night being a prime example). I do not think this is because he is a bad player, or that he has lost his edge, but because he doesn't know how to play the position he is being asked to play. For long spells last night, I was saying that we needed him to get further forward. He just sits too deep, and chases the ball back the whole time. Thus, we end up with 3 deep central midfielders, when we are set up for 2 with Barry getting into the space further forward.

If he is going to sit deep, Walter should acknowledge this, and give Davis or Thomson a more forward role.