Who we are...

I already have about 3 times, but I will try again - they are not Irish because 95% of them were born, raised and educated in Scotland and don't have Irish passports but instead have British passports. They think they are Irish...but they are not. They are simply confused people.

Are they ?

So second and third generation Scots for instance for instance in Canada have no right to declare or express their Scottishness ...despite where they were born ?

I doubt any second and third generation Scots in Canada will class themselves as anything but Canadian. They may celebrate their Scottish past but at the same time they will 100% class themselves as Canadians.

But truth be told....you dont really know.

Its why we have societies...where such exiles can express their Scottishness or other nationalities as the case may be.

I do know seeing as I lived in Scarborough, Toronto for 6 months and then London for 6 months (London in Canada) with my parents. No second and third generation Scots in Canada class themselves as Scotsmen. They class themselves as Canadians with a Scottish background.

Sorry but I dont think you have the authority nor right to suggest that your subjective experience should apply to everyone who is an exile.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I already have about 3 times, but I will try again - they are not Irish because 95% of them were born, raised and educated in Scotland and don't have Irish passports but instead have British passports. They think they are Irish...but they are not. They are simply confused people.

Are they ?

So second and third generation Scots for instance for instance in Canada have no right to declare or express their Scottishness ...despite where they were born ?

I doubt any second and third generation Scots in Canada will class themselves as anything but Canadian. They may celebrate their Scottish past but at the same time they will 100% class themselves as Canadians.

Its why we have societies...where such exiles can express their Scottishness or other nationalities as the case may be.

I do know seeing as I lived in Scarborough, Toronto for 6 months and then London for 6 months (London in Canada) with my parents. No second and third generation Scots in Canada class themselves as Scotsmen. They class themselves as Canadians with a Scottish background.

Sorry but I dont think you have the authority nor right to suggest that your subjective experience should apply to everyone who is an exile.

Let's ask the second and third generation Scots in Canada who post on the board then! The proof is in the pudding. Having spent a year in Canada, I can tell you I did not meet one Canadian (with Scottish/English Parents/Grandparents) who was born in Canada and classed himself/herself as anything other than Canadian. Many acknowledged thier family roots (many didn't care), but all classed themselves as Canadians. I'm just telling you my experience...no need to get upset about it!

Are they ?

Let's ask the second and third generation Scots in Canada who post on the board then! The proof is in the pudding. Having spent a year in Canada, I can tell you I did not meet one Canadian (with Scottish/English Parents/Grandparents) who was born in Canada and classed himself/herself as anything other than Canadian. Many acknowledged thier family roots (many didn't care), but all classed themselves as Canadians. I'm just telling you my experience...no need to get upset about it!

Well perhaps we should ask 2nd or 3rd generation tims whether they class themselves as Irish. Or are you now the cultural Police ?