Best manager between Scott Symon or Walter Smith

minstral

scot symon .his numbers dont match but he built an all conquering team out of the wreckage of 7/1 and remember s.s had more competition how many different sides won the league and the cup during his time.walter has a better record but ss.didnt buy his team.

Very true, but at that time he didn't have to buy a team. At least 80% of Scottish boys played football, so the talent pool was huge compared to Walters 1st time here. And I would argue that Symons left us a poorer team than he inherited, although that's a moot point.

I still don't see how the 2 managers can realistically be compared, given the enormous differences in the game and in the managers role between the 2 eras. We'll never know if Symon would have coped in the present set-up, or whether Smith would have succeeded in the 50s/60s.

The only thing I do know is that both have been very successful Rangers managers, and both will be held in high regard as long as Rangers exist as a football club.

(tu)

scot symon .his numbers dont match but he built an all conquering team out of the wreckage of 7/1 and remember s.s had more competition how many different sides won the league and the cup during his time.walter has a better record but ss.didnt buy his team.

Very true, but at that time he didn't have to buy a team. At least 80% of Scottish boys played football, so the talent pool was huge compared to Walters 1st time here. And I would argue that Symons left us a poorer team than he inherited, although that's a moot point.

I still don't see how the 2 managers can realistically be compared, given the enormous differences in the game and in the managers role between the 2 eras. We'll never know if Symon would have coped in the present set-up, or whether Smith would have succeeded in the 50s/60s.

The only thing I do know is that both have been very successful Rangers managers, and both will be held in high regard as long as Rangers exist as a football club.

(tu)

walter would have been no good in the old days. if he tried to play the negative stuff of last season he would have been chased.