Free Kicks

I have said to my mates for a long while that if i was a goalkeeper up against the likes of Nakamura, Beckham and any free kick taker who relies on precision rather than just lumping the shite out of the ball like our very own Boydie, that i would not have a wall, instead preferring to see the ball for the full duration of the free kick.

Apparently, Dundee United did it today with Naka free kick and it worked. :lol:

ye but say you setup like this with no wall and all, but then one of their "lumping the shite out of the ball" players runs out from nowere and whacks then yir no goni have much chance :lol:

just a possibility

ye but say you setup like this with no wall and all, but then one of their "lumping the shite out of the ball" players runs out from nowere and whacks then yir no goni have much chance :lol:

just a possibility

Its a fair point but as a professional keeper, i would still fancy myself 99 times out of 100 to save a 1 on 1 shot from 25 yards plus if there was no-one blocking the way.

It might be that they set the wall up and once they could see it was only Naka standing they moved out the wall. Not sure.

I actually just like the fact that Levein tried it and Fair play to him. Wish we had someone who changed things about a bit at the helm. (tu)

just a possibility

Its a fair point but as a professional keeper, i would still fancy myself 99 times out of 100 to save a 1 on 1 shot from 25 yards plus if there was no-one blocking the way.

It might be that they set the wall up and once they could see it was only Naka standing they moved out the wall. Not sure.

I actually just like the fact that Levein tried it and Fair play to him. Wish we had someone who changed things about a bit at the helm. (tu)

Couldnt agree more, Walter would never try something like what united did today in a million years.

I have said to my mates for a long while that if i was a goalkeeper up against the likes of Nakamura, Beckham and any free kick taker who relies on precision rather than just lumping the shite out of the ball like our very own Boydie, that i would not have a wall, instead preferring to see the ball for the full duration of the free kick.

Apparently, Dundee United did it today with Naka free kick and it worked. :lol:

I watched the Spurs v Wigan game yesterday,and Wigan were using a one man wall at free kicks.

The opposition could use their own players to block the goalkeepers view surely?

They could yes, but if they do, they effectively take themselves out of positions in attacking zones plus, you could effectively time it to free up the sight for the goalkeeper which would add to the confusion of the free kick taker.

Without practising it, not sure how it would work out but i will be interested in seeing what United done today.

just a possibility

It wouldnt be 1 on 1 though

You'd still have 18 players in and around the free kick. Any deflection/touch and you are in trouble.

just a possibility

You'd still have 18 players in and around the free kick. Any deflection/touch and you are in trouble.

Well that depends. Im pretty sure you will find, when Naka takes a free kick and is going for goal, that Celtics back 4 dont come forward as there is no real point. If you leave your 2 men up front as normal, then all of a sudden there is only 13 players in the box, all of whom would be in the box under normal circumstances and "could" deflect the ball.

The whole point im trying to make, and it appears that Levein agrees, is that when you have a free kick taker like Nakamura who NEVER powers it and VERY RARELY hits the wall, you are as well to give your keeper sight of the ball for as long as humanly possible.

I agree its not a tactic to adopt at a Boyd free kick though (tu)

just a possibility

Well that depends. Im pretty sure you will find, when Naka takes a free kick and is going for goal, that Celtics back 4 dont come forward as there is no real point. If you leave your 2 men up front as normal, then all of a sudden there is only 13 players in the box, all of whom would be in the box under normal circumstances and "could" deflect the ball.

The whole point im trying to make, and it appears that Levein agrees, is that when you have a free kick taker like Nakamura who NEVER powers it and VERY RARELY hits the wall, you are as well to give your keeper sight of the ball for as long as humanly possible.

I agree its not a tactic to adopt at a Boyd free kick though (tu)

Teams would just start putting 2 players on the free kick. 1 with technique and 1 with power.

Dangerous game