Fleck: My nephew will be brilliant

Rangersendal

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/football/...e_brilliant.php

Fleck: my nephew will be brilliantJohn Fleck could be the answer to Rangers' cash crisis insists the striker's uncle, Robert, himself a former top player at Ibrox.

The youngster was man of the match when he made his long-awaited start in the weekend win over Falkirk. With Rangers having to sell one of their top players to help balance the books, Walter Smith, the Rangers manager, will not be adding to his squad during the transfer window.

However, Robert Fleck, who spent four years at Ibrox in the mid-1980s, claims his nephew's first-team breakthrough could be like a new signing in itself.

advertisement

"I think the cash problems at Ibrox could be a massive benefit for John," said the 43-year-old. "In the past, Rangers have bought players for a lot of money and sometimes it hasn't worked out as they haven't understood what it means to play for them.

"With John, he's a talented youngster with bags of ability who supports the club, is desperate to play and has cost them nothing.

"He's been determined to figure in the first team for a while and he proved last weekend he can handle the game at that level. He deserved his chance and the whole family are very pleased for him as he has worked so hard."

Fleck's good start for Rangers has been a boost during this troubled financial period for the club. His uncle has revealed the ambitious youngster believed he was ready to play long before the weekend. "John thought he should have played for the first team before he did against Falkirk, but Walter Smith knows what he's doing and he's not putting too much pressure on the young lad," he said.

"However, he showed in the match how enthusiastic he is and man of the match was a nice bonus. The management at Rangers are the best and are ideal for John's growth. Walter Smith, Ally McCoist, Ian Durrant and Kenny McDowall will be brilliant for him.

"John's only 17, is full of confidence, level-headed and is fearless. However, he is sensible and can handle the hype. I'm really sure that he's going to become brilliant for Rangers."