Bosman Lawyer and use of RFFF ?

Bad Robot

Should money from the RFFF be used?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should money from the RFFF be used?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

I know the talk of moving to England has went quiet since CG has been out the media but would it be worth using the cash from the RFFF to employ this guy?

He seems to know football and European law but im not sure if it would officially need to be a club that challenges their ruling rather than a group who is only associated with a club.

As said before there's been a lot of talk but thats all it seems to be, just talk. This lawyer could take this forward and I think we should consider using him.

Bosman ruling lawyer Jean-Louis Dupont in Uefa complaint

A lawyer who helped win the landmark Bosman case has lodged a complaint with the European Commission over Uefa's Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.

The FFP rules, designed to ensure clubs break even over a rolling three-year period, do not come into full effect until the 2013-14 season.

What are Uefa's Financial Fair Play regulations?

• The Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) was set up in June 2012 to oversee the application of the Uefa Club Licensing System and Financial Fair Play Regulations

• Clubs cannot repeatedly spend more than their generated revenues, and clubs will be obliged to meet all their transfer and employee payment commitments at all times

• Higher-risk clubs that fail certain indicators will also be required to provide budgets detailing their strategic plans

• Teams participating in Uefa club competitions have had their transfer and employee payables monitored since the summer of 2011. The break-even assessment covering the financial years ending 2012 and 2013 will be assessed during 2013-14

Read more at Uefa.com

Lawyer Jean-Louis Dupont claims that FFP breaches European competition law.

"A club owner is prohibited from overspending even if such overspending aims at growing the club," said Dupont.

In December 1995, Belgian midfielder Jean-Marc Bosman, 31, successfully challenged football's transfer rules at the European Court, on the basis of restraint of trade.

The Bosman ruling allowed players over 24 to move clubs without a transfer fee at the end of their contracts, and also ended national league limits on foreign players from other European Union countries.

Dupont, who was part of the legal team that won that ruling and also led the case that forced Uefa and world governing body Fifa to compensate clubs for players injured on international duty, is now representing Belgian players' agent Daniel Striani.

The Belgian lawyer says the FFP ruling will restrict the incomes of both players and agents, reduce transfer activity and ensure that Europe's larger clubs remain dominant.

He added that even if the ban on overspending was ruled legal, he would have further grounds to appeal because Uefa, football's European governing body, could achieve its aims by a less restrictive measure such as forcing clubs to makes guarantees on any spending beyond projected income.

The European Commission confirmed it had received a complaint but would make no further comment on the case.

Uefa suspended Turkish team Besiktas from European competition a year ago over unpaid bills and punished Spanish side Malaga for the same offence in December 2012.

I'm confused as to what the actual options are. Is the question: Should we use RFFF money, or at least campaign for it to be used, to hire this guy as a lawyer to argue our case for admittance into the English football system?

I'm confused as to what the actual options are. Is the question: Should we use RFFF money, or at least campaign for it to be used, to hire this guy as a lawyer to argue our case for admittance into the English football system?

My real question was should we use the money and maybe the poll could be an indication if its worth starting a campaign.

Voted no.

I'm neither one way or other about it but even if he won the case that would only clear the legal obstacles. You can't force anyone to accept you and would still need to be invited. And that to me would be the hardest part - no lawyer can help us there.

No.

We aren't going to England.

Scottish football is shite and sadly we are lumped in as part of that. The EPL is the most successful and best marketed league in the world and do not want us there.

For me, the prospect of bringing in all the Old Firm baggage is probably the key negative for EPL.

Leaving Scotland would be the only possible and realistic way for The Rangers to have a genuine chance at realising our potential and legitimate ambitions.

I'm past caring about Scottish football in any sense - but I'll never stop caring about what our club can achieve. The quicker we are away the better.

That football excludes us by ignoring EU trading laws on one hand, whilst applying others is nothing short of shameful.

No from me.

The money was not raised for this kind of thing. There are still a few issues in which the club may need defended, the money should be used to for this 1st and foremost

Ie possible Craig whyte claims/ sfa possibly revoking footy license etc etc

I can really understand the desire to get into another Football League set up- ie out with Scotland. However it either has to be a League consisting of Clubs across Europe or the English League set up to be at all viable, doable and worthwhile.

There is no current league to enter with regards the European Option, so in the short term that's not really an option. This leaves us with only the English League option. I cannot see how we would be able to force ourselves into that unless there was a willingness from within that structure to see us admitted. I have as yet not seen any hard evidence of any great desire from English Clubs (the decision makers) to allow us entry. Therefore I think we could waste a lot of time and energy trying to argue a legal position that would be essentially pointless without a formal invitation to join being in place.

I think our energies are best focused on winning the divisions year on year until we are back at the top of the Scottish Game, in good financial health, and therefore a very attractive proposition to any governing body wishing to revolutionise football.

The strengths that would such attract interest:

1) A wealthy Club- unlikely to suffer financial meltdown.

2) A successful football team playing attractive football.

3) A passionate and sizeable support at home and away- that can fill stadiums.

4) A Club that generates world wide interest and support leading to good viewing figures for those buying media rights and sponsorship.

I see us as bang on the money for 3 out of the 4 as things stand.

People seem to forget that we still need the FA down there to say yes we will let you join our league regardless of what a court says.

The associations and clubs accros europe weren't asked to accept the Bosman ruling, they had no choice.

I voted NO. Lawyers like this are just out to make a name for themselves. This is just another of those who will defend murderers, rapists and paedophiles because it makes them look big. Not a lot of difference between him and Di Stefano except that he has a licence to practice. It would be pouring money into a bottomless pit with no guaranteed outcome.

The associations and clubs accros europe weren't asked to accept the Bosman ruling, they had no choice.

Bosman was all about employment law and the right to work for another employer. He was refused basic rights because his employer wouldn't release him even though his contract had ended.

What we are talking about has nothing to do with Employment law and Human Rights. If it was so easy to go to court to make the English FA take us in, why haven't any clubs gone to court to argue that relegation is illegal and a restraint of trade? Nothing is stopping us playing in England. We could go and play there tomorrow. However there is also nothing which can compel the English FA or League to accept us into their competitions. If you run a small, let's say plumbing company, would you try to take the Stock Exchange to court because you're not listed on the FTSE 100? This guy is trying to sell dreams in the hope of filling his pockets and making a name for himself.

This has nothing to do with what I said.

The clubs had to accept the Bosman but it was still up to them who they signed.