Realistic ideas to improve the Scottish game

TMWWBK

I was bored earlier and i had a wee brainstorm session on ways to improve the Scottish game. Here are some of my ideas, feel free to add some of your own!

• The sale of alcohol at all Scottish grounds. I agree with John Boyle's view that it is absurd that alcohol is banned from Scottish stadia. I feel it would benefit the smaller clubs especially, with the lure of alcohol tempting arm-chair fans into attendance. Even at Ibrox, it would make us a fair bit of cash, as well as improving the atmosphere. Many will say that it would just stoke the flames of fan trouble, but really, if it was banned from Old Firm/Rangers vs Aberdeen games then i don't see the problem. English teams serve alcohol at their grounds and you very rarely hear of EPL fan trouble.

• An end of season foreigners vs homegrown talent match. This was an idea that was invented by the Greek Super League hierarchy. Basically, it's the creme de la creme of homegrown talent vs the creme de la creme of foreign talent. Obviously, there would have to be a cap on the amount of players from each team to avoid an Old Firm-esque game, but i feel a game like this could be a big money-spinner. Hampden would sell out and i also wouldnt be surprised if various TV companies went head to head to purchase the broadcasting rights, the money could then be shared out between the 12 SPL clubs. Seeing Aiden McGeady pull on the shirt of the foreigners would also make for hilarious viewing.

• The Old Firm, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen being allowed to enter their reserves into the third division. Many teams in Holland and Spain do this and it's an idea that Rafa Benitez has been putting to the FA for years. Those who have seen the reserves will admit that it isnt too competitive and that it's all a bit makeshift. Instead of these rather pointless games, why not have the youngsters gain real experience in the lower leagues of the SFL? Obviously, they would be immune to promotion, but they would still sample a game where the opposition has something to play for. To combat the first team cherry picking from the reserves, registration periods could be installed.

• Scrap the top 6 break away period. I don't really need to add much, do i? It's a ridiculous rule and those of you who have seen a bottom 6 game will know exactly what i mean.

Alcohol point, it'd have to be banned at OF, Rangers-Aberdeen games, but fair enough. It would have to be trialed first (but for the love of God not at an OF game like has been suggested by some sections)

Foreigners V Scots idea - Like it (tu)

The leauge split is, as you say, daft. And the Reserves moving into a lower div I agree with, but I'd open the third div at the bottom, and form a pyramid underneath that to the lower leagues around Scotland. Probably would need the formation of a Conference-esque division just below Div 3 before the regional leagues come into play. I don't know how many leagues there are outwith the SPL/SFL, and if this would be viable. But it's an idea. Probably a logistical nightmare sorting that all out mind you.

The Old Firm, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen being allowed to enter their reserves into the third division...

This idea was tested in Ukraine and Russia but desired a result was not attained. In the total decided that reserve must play against reserve.

The leauge split is, as you say, daft. And the Reserves moving into a lower div I agree with, but I'd open the third div at the bottom, and form a pyramid underneath that to the lower leagues around Scotland. Probably would need the formation of a Conference-esque division just below Div 3 before the regional leagues come into play. I don't know how many leagues there are outwith the SPL/SFL, and if this would be viable. But it's an idea. Probably a logistical nightmare sorting that all out mind you.

Following the League 2/Conference blueprint is a good idea actually. It would keep the competition fresh and would ensure teams don't get complacent.

The Old Firm, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen being allowed to enter their reserves into the third division...

This idea was tested in Ukraine and Russia but desired a result was not attained. In the total decided that reserve must play against reserve.

Out of interest, what teams trialled this? Dynamo, Shakhtar and the Moscow clubs?

Out of interest, what teams trialled this? Dynamo, Shakhtar and the Moscow clubs?

Yes, these clubs and not only. But all drew one conclusion... tournament between reserve better than reserve in the lower divisions of adult football.

make the top division bigger. This week has only strengthened my opinion that there is very little if any difference between the bottom of the SPL and teams like dunfermline, livingstone, partick, dundee and queen of the south

I would love to see this kind of Scottish Set Up:-

SPL

--------

16 Teams

Top of the league wins - Straight into the Champs League

Second Place - Second Qualifiers

Third Place - UEFA Cup

15th and 16th - Relegated

First Division

-----------------

12 Teams

Top of the league - Auto Promotion

Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth - Play Offs

11th, 12th - Relegated

Second Division

----------------------

14 Teams

Top of the league - Auto Promotion

Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth - Play Offs

13th, 14th - Relegated

Then a conference style set up from the junior, and regional leagues.

make the top division bigger. This week has only strengthened my opinion that there is very little if any difference between the bottom of the SPL and teams like dunfermline, livingstone, partick, dundee and queen of the south

(tu)

Im sure they could incorporate something into our smartcards, when purchasing alcohol, you have a set limit, your card is swiped when you do so and you can only buy alcohol if you have a smart card.

I also think our league should have 16 teams