Rangers Picture Thread

2 hours ago, Callum_Doon said:

A referee with a 'Mason' surname and from Burslem (if I make that out correctly)...

Could surely only be be Jim Mason, played for Burslem Port Vale, before becoming a foremost referee - took charge of the 1909 FA Cup Final... (all from Wikipedia).

Except, of course, our comparative dates are some years apart.

Unless he came out of retirement to referee this game? Surely not the same guy - despite the compelling similarities - how old would he have been?

Assuming he was say 20 when he made his debut for Burslem Port Vale in 1892 that would have made him 52 at time of Meredith's testimonial, only 2 years older than Meredith, so not  inconceivable that it was the same referee who did 1909 cup final

2 minutes ago, Don54 said:

Assuming he was say 20 when he made his debut for Burslem Port Vale in 1892 that would have made him 52 at time of Meredith's testimonial, only 2 years older than Meredith, so not  inconceivable that it was the same referee who did 1909 cup final

Has to be, surely - too many connected aspects for an extraordinary coincidence.

So, looks like that's our 'Mason' ref then. :UK:

Wonder if he was ever invited to referee an 'Old Firm' game... :wow:

40 minutes ago, KingKai said:

You can see the coloured seats in the Copland Rd Stand in the pic.

I might have been at that Scotland V England schoolboys game. Was the first game I was allowed to go alone with my pals! Would have been around 65 maybe

Sorry mate I don't think it's 1965 mate .... as the only seating area was the main stand at that time ... all other parts of the stadium were terraces. 

:UK:

Just now, Callum_Doon said:

Has to be, surely - too many connected aspects for an extraordinary coincidence.

So, looks like that's our 'Mason' ref then. :UK:

Wonder if he was ever invited to referee an 'Old Firm' game... :wow:

He refereed a Scotland v England match 1-1 and Scotland v Wales 2-1  both 1908

1 minute ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Geordie Henderson ?

?? 

His debut with Rangers came in a Scottish League match on 20th March 1920 against Aberdeen and his first goal came a fortnight later on 3rd April against Airdrie. Henderson was top scorer at Rangers for four consecutive seasons from 1921-22 until 1924-25, the latter season being his most productive, netting 32 times. He played a total of 195 first class games (170 league, 25 Scottish Cup) and scored 142 goals (123 League and 19 Cup). During his eight-year spell at Rangers he amassed four League Championships in 1921, 1923, 1924 and 1925, as well as four Glasgow Cups and two Charity Cups. Although he did not represent Scotland, he played once for The Scottish League scoring in a 1-0 win over The Irish League in October 1923

20 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Sorry mate I don't think it's 1965 mate .... as the only seating area was the main stand at that time ... all other parts of the stadium were terraces. 

Wasnt being clear there. Callums  pic shows the Press box, and i meant to say in that pic you can see the Copland stand. ( so would have been sometime after '78)

The '65 reference was about your comment, being in the main stand press box  'gangway' at a Scotland /England schoolboy game. For some reason I took that as being in the 60's ( probably cause of your name Bobby Hume!) and thats why I said I was at a Scotlsand/England schoolboys around 65....phew!

22 minutes ago, Don54 said:

??

His debut with Rangers came in a Scottish League match on 20th March 1920 against Aberdeen and his first goal came a fortnight later on 3rd April against Airdrie. Henderson was top scorer at Rangers for four consecutive seasons from 1921-22 until 1924-25, the latter season being his most productive, netting 32 times. He played a total of 195 first class games (170 league, 25 Scottish Cup) and scored 142 goals (123 League and 19 Cup). During his eight-year spell at Rangers he amassed four League Championships in 1921, 1923, 1924 and 1925, as well as four Glasgow Cups and two Charity Cups. Although he did not represent Scotland, he played once for The Scottish League scoring in a 1-0 win over The Irish League in October 1923

A fantastic scoring record Don . Like you say , he seems almost forgotten despite his goals , perhaps due to the legends that were team mates like Morton ,  Cunningham and Archibald . The man who followed him in the No.9 shirt Jimmy Fleming also had a great record that largely goes unnoticed , possibly due to his successor Sam English's record . 

9 minutes ago, KingKai said:

Wasnt being clear there. Callums  pic shows the Press box, and i meant to say in that pic you can see the Copland stand. ( so would have been sometime after '78)

The '65 reference was about your comment, being in the main stand press box  'gangway' at a Scotland /England schoolboy game. For some reason I took that as being in the 60's ( probably cause of your name Bobby Hume!) and thats why I said I was at a Scotlsand/England schoolboys around 65....phew!

:lol:

Not a problem mate ... crossed wires that's all .... we still pals? .... :cheers: