Defoe

Smile

Steven Gerrard has revealed that Jermain Defoe could be given a player/coach role at Rangers next term.

The on-loan Bournemouth striker wants a permanent deal.

Gerrard, who pulled on a Rangers jersey as he played for both sides in a legends game with Liverpool, is also keen on the 37-year-old staying in Glasgow.

He has praised Defoe’s influence on the Ibrox kids – and says a role in the academy could be worked into any deal.

When asked if the former England hitman could be offered a joint role, Gerrard said: “Possibly. We are certainly open to that side of Jermain.

“I can help centre-forwards, that’s why I’m in the game.

“But Jermain will know certain situations in the game, certain things to look out for in that specific position –better than any coach in the world.

“He has a catalogue of knowledge that he can pass on.

“Whether that ends up being on our staff or elsewhere, I’d love to see him give something back to the game. But he still has so much to offer as a player.”

And that’s why, first and foremost, Gerrard wants Defoe in his squad for next term.

He’s currently the Premiership’s top scorer on nine goals and, along with strike partner Alfredo Morelos, they’ve been on fire for Gerrard’s top-of-the-table side.

The Light Blues manager said: “If he stays in the form he’s in then, of course, I would want him around here for as long as possible.

“It’s definitely something that’s on all of our minds as a staff and as a club.

“Jermain’s in terrific form. I’m sure he’s frustrated with me in terms of his game time but I love that.

“He wants to play every minute. He’s just as hungry now as when I first bumped into him at 22 or 23.

“He’s first on the training pitch and the last off.

“That’s the reason why he can go on because he’s still got that drive to carry on.

“He’s a huge help. Having two forwards, with Jermain and Alfredo, in top form is fantastic for myself and Rangers.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/10/2019 at 21:53, Prso's headband said:

He’ll finish his football career here. 

Honestly hope so. It was funny the interview I see a few weeks back when he said he’d wished he’d came here 5 years ago, somehow I doubt he’d have fancied Alloa and Forfar on a regular basis ha ha 

3 hours ago, Smile said:

Steven Gerrard has revealed that Jermain Defoe could be given a player/coach role at Rangers next term.

The on-loan Bournemouth striker wants a permanent deal.

Gerrard, who pulled on a Rangers jersey as he played for both sides in a legends game with Liverpool, is also keen on the 37-year-old staying in Glasgow.

He has praised Defoe’s influence on the Ibrox kids – and says a role in the academy could be worked into any deal.

When asked if the former England hitman could be offered a joint role, Gerrard said: “Possibly. We are certainly open to that side of Jermain.

“I can help centre-forwards, that’s why I’m in the game.

“But Jermain will know certain situations in the game, certain things to look out for in that specific position –better than any coach in the world.

“He has a catalogue of knowledge that he can pass on.

“Whether that ends up being on our staff or elsewhere, I’d love to see him give something back to the game. But he still has so much to offer as a player.”

And that’s why, first and foremost, Gerrard wants Defoe in his squad for next term.

He’s currently the Premiership’s top scorer on nine goals and, along with strike partner Alfredo Morelos, they’ve been on fire for Gerrard’s top-of-the-table side.

The Light Blues manager said: “If he stays in the form he’s in then, of course, I would want him around here for as long as possible.

“It’s definitely something that’s on all of our minds as a staff and as a club.

“Jermain’s in terrific form. I’m sure he’s frustrated with me in terms of his game time but I love that.

“He wants to play every minute. He’s just as hungry now as when I first bumped into him at 22 or 23.

“He’s first on the training pitch and the last off.

“That’s the reason why he can go on because he’s still got that drive to carry on.

“He’s a huge help. Having two forwards, with Jermain and Alfredo, in top form is fantastic for myself and Rangers.

He obviously wants to stay and we’d be crazy not to sort it. 

Archived